Independent 6266/Dac

Posted by neildubya on November 15th, 2006

neildubya.
1 PAD,U,A – accomodation=”pad”
4 CHE in BUT, RED – Nice clue for beginners: Che (Guevara) is the crossword solver’s favourite revolutionary and a communist is almost always “red”.
9 CH, APTER (“more suitable”)
10/11 PUT ONE’S FINGER ON IT – something else for beginners to note: “one’s” is usually preferred to “your” in phrases like this. One exception was in a crossword from last week – “WHAT’S YOUR POISON”. Using “one’s” there would just sound silly.
16 GAELIC – sounds like “gay” (carefree) and “lick” (defeat).
18 HOT DOG – solvers of last Saturday’s Scorpion puzzle will know that “Mick the Miller” was a famous hot-dog. Walthamstow is home to a famous dog track.
27 ENTICER – anag of “reticent” without the “t”.
28 I’D in PRESENT (here)

1 PACIFISM – nice &lit clue. IF,I,CAP (all going “up”) + SM (sergeant-major).
3 AT THE READY – anag of “treated hay”. I thought “freshly” was a good anagram indicator here.
5 TOPPING – Interesting juxtaposition of old and new slang here. If I understand this one correctly, Dac is using the “street” definition of “wicked” to mean “good”. Topping someone obviously means to kill them but it is also a slang word for good although I can’t imagine anyone has actually used it in conversation this side of the 1940s.
7 RINGTAILS – anag of “starling” + I. Not sure about the use of “…spotted being pecked by vicious…” though – seems to be stretching things a bit to make the clue read well.
8 The wrong clue was printed in the newspaper – see eimi’s comment on this post for the correct one.
15 BIOSPHERE – anag of “beer I” and “hops” with “brewed” being a perfect anagram indicator.
19 GEORDIE – I saw G?O?D?E and filled in the rest without bothering to work out the wordplay. Looking at it now, I see that it’s EG (say) “set up” + I in ORDE(-R)
20 A EWE’S in MT – a Mae West is (or was) a life-jacket.
24 RECTO – hidden in “directory”. A simple but nicely worded clue and an illustration that “hidden” clues don’t always have to refer to something being hidden or concealed – “torn from” does the job here.
25 SOLI – plural of “solo” and nearly “solid” (reliable)

10 Responses to “Independent 6266/Dac”

1. says:

Having battled with Scorpion, I got HOT DOG instantly. What I missed with Scorpion was traps = mouths as well as where the dogs run from. Re “wicked, if your eyes ever strayed to the UK’s best selling football magazine MATCH, every poster is described as “wicked”. Concise OED confirms, along with the top = kill. It took me quite a while to get TOPPING. But could anyone explain 8 down, where after a long struggle I have made a guess? I’ve some doubts about the crossing 12 across.

2. says:

You’ll notice that I cunningly avoided mentioning 8A – because I didn’t understand it either. I could only think of two words that fit D?S?G? – I went with DESIGN but I can’t explain why.

3. says:

Sorry – that should have been 8D.

4. says:

Also puzzled by 8D – even wondered if there was an alternative to 12 Party animal = STAG. 8D clue is “Sentry moves us around network of cells (6) = D?S?G? which as far as I can see is DESIGN or DOSAGE from checking letters. DESIGN seems to make a bit more sense but I can’t see how it works, and “network of cells” seems a weak definition compared to the rest of the puzzle. Any offers?

5. says:

I’m afraid it’s a cock-up by the Indy crossword editor, i.e. yours truly. I accidentally replaced a clue in today’s crossword which should have been in tomorrow’s. Mea maxima culpa.

Clue to 8 down should read

At party, wise man fixed quantity to be consumed (6)

6. says:

Thanks eimi. Have edited my post accordingly.

7. says:

Thanks indeed. I pencilled in DESIGN (with no idea why) and so plumped for the wrong answer, probably a reason not to go on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. Still, at least we have a clue’s start on tomorrow now.

8. says:

I’d encourage contributors who don’t understand a clue to say so. Even if it’s “your fault”, you’re probably not alone. Even the “experts” don’t understand everything, especially when solving. On the University Challenge – the story so far TV programme the other day, the reason for Bamber Gascoigne’s apparent omniscience was exposed – careful research with reference books before the programme. Apparent erudition on sites like this may be the result of similar research after solving, though I try to remember to indicate the cases where I’ve learned something new.

9. says:

Topping=wicked… hmm. Although both are synonyms for ‘good’, their registers are so different that I’d say it’s stretching things to use them as synonyms for each other… maybe something like “wicked nowadays”?

10. says:

Re Michod’s point, I did read “wicked”, after checking in Concise OED, as “topping” i.e excellent. But the second I took, again after confirming in that dictionary, as top = kill (informal UK) so killing = topping.