Posted by michod on December 1st, 2006
A mixed bag. I found half the clues came very quickly, but there was a stubborn hard core, one of which eluded me to the end (but see comments for solution). Eight proper nouns, including real and fictional characters, including literary references not always kindly clued.
1. COCKTAIL. A tail is a private eye, tip as in tip your hat, and Manhattan as in cocktail. Tricky subsidiary indications, but then what else could Manhattan be?
5. ONEGIN. (gone)* + IN. Again, I can’t think of any other Eugenes, so unless he’s the anagram…
10. Open to offers. I’ve got CRONIN, but don’t see where the samurai fits.
11. I’m stumped. Thought initially it was a not v cryptic clue for marathon. The runner looks like a plant to me. I can’t get Stratford or Hackney marshes in there anywhere. (See below).
18. ALLOTROPIC. A pair of lines = A L L, circle = O, imaginary line= TROPIC.
22. HYSSOP is hidden. But how does ‘about’ indicate that?
24. ARAMIS. Ar + Amis. One of the Three Musketeers.
26. HORNET. (thorne)*.
1. CALLAS. Hidden + lit.
2. CARMAN. Ref George Carman QC and Harriet Harman – very difficult, esp without telling you what replaces the politician’s head.
3. I had TAIWAN, but couldn’t explain it – now I see it’s TAIPAN, with P of pine replacing W for wife. Must mean a foreign businessman in China.
13, OCCIDENTAL. (col acted in)*. Who’s Col? Could the anagram be any clearer?
15. MACHEATH. Informal adress = Mac, former PM = Heath. I associate Macheath with Brecht’s Threepenny opera, but he began life in John Gay’s Beggar’s Opera.
17. ATROPINE. (A protein)*. Nice anag.
20. CASTLE. L(ambert) in CASTE – Lambert being a measurement of…?
21. PENNON. PEN N ON. Note can be any of letters A-G, or Do-Mi – or N. So just about anything, really!