Posted by michod on January 5th, 2007
A simple and somewhat uninspiring puzzle, unusually for a Friday. 14′s mildly misleading use of ‘suit’ stood out as most of the other clues were totally straightforward in definition and structure. Took me 13 minutes (from West Finchley to Tufnell park).
Apologies for the lack of comments, there wasn’t that much to say.
1. WHATNOT. NOW THAT*.
10. EDGE. Hidden in retirED Gentlemen.
11. SWALLOWING. WALLOW in SING.
13. GAUNT + LET(ter).
14. COURTSHIP. SHIRT* in COUP. Nice clue with misleading definition.
19. AGGRESSOR. AG + GRE(y) + ROSS<. Ag being the chemical symbol for silver.
23. SEA CHEST. ACHES in SET.
24. V AUNTS. Minor quibbles – is V ‘five of’ or just ‘five’; should ‘mother’s sisters’ have a ?, as aunts can also be father’s
sisters, mothers’ brothers’ wives etc?
26. MAD AGA SCAR.
28. LEATHER. THE in LEAR. Nice clue.
2. HIDALGO. HI + GLAD< + O. Spanish nobleman, perhaps the only word that may have caused a few people problems.
3. THE Me(al). Might as well just put the solution there. Oh, it is there.
4. OYSTERS. ROY SETS*. Uninspired.
7. BEWITCHES. WEB, + ITCHES.
9. LAUGHING STOCK. Is that the same as an Aunt Sally?
15. RELUCTANT. UNCLE + TART*.
21. OCT + OPUS.
22. DEBATE. BE< in DATE. Remain=be?
25. US + HER. Might as well just – oh I give up!