Independent 6313/Dac – Mr Wednesday

Posted by neildubya on January 10th, 2007

neildubya.
1 C,ROT,ON – I’d not heard of this before and “heralds” had me puzzled for a while but once I’d got C?O?O? the wordplay became more obvious.
9 (LIVE)*,ED – cleverly worded. I spent time thinking the definition was “live” and the wordplay involved a word for “broadcast” inside (covered by)”journalist”.
13 A in LEVE(l)
14 THOU in GUESSES
18 RABBI,T PUNCH – another one that had me going for a while as “teacher” is not the most obvious definition of RABBI, not to me anyway.
22 EVERGREEN – I’d never heard of this particular song but luckily my wife (sitting next to me on the train) had.
24 TOD in MASON – does TOD come from the Disney film, “The Fox and the Hound“? I didn’t know about this at the time of solving but with some checking letters in place and a straightforward definition I knew the answer had to be right.
25 (MOB)*,VIE – the enumeration (1-5) is probably the biggest clue in this clue, if you see what I mean.
26 (EINSTEIN)*

1 COVE,RAGE
2 (IMPOUND,E)*
5 (SUCH A ROLE IN)*
7 I in TAP,AN – luckily this word came up in another puzzle fairly recently so I already knew it. Nevertheless, the wordplay is quite straightforward and gives you a good chance even if the word was new to you.
8 hidden in “usING REStored” – smooth surface reading.
12 ROUBLES in TOME
16 C in ONE,OVER
20 (SCOUT)*,N
23 G,EMMA – the book being the one by Jane Austen.

7 Responses to “Independent 6313/Dac – Mr Wednesday”

1. says:

Bit tougher than usual from Dac – two eye-catching (for me) homophones – AZURE for Asia and CARM for calm (in CARMEN).

2. says:

“tod” is just Scots/Northern dialect according to Collins. I think I’ve seen it used as a name like “Brock the Badger”, but can’t remember where. This seems to be the source for the Disney name.

3. says:

Origin unknown in Chambers.

4. says:

AZURE

Azure … Asia? Eye-catching, yes, but for the wrong reason. Seems hopelessly stretched.

Wil Ransome

5. says:

Re: Azure, it’s not how I pronounce it, but Collins confirms that they can be pronounced the same way.

Re: Tod, Webster http://www.webster-dictionary.net/d.aspx?w=tod suggests ‘probably’ from its bushy tail, tod also being a word for a bush.

Sorry, don’t know how to do hypertext links on here.

6. says:

Re: Tod When verifying today, I found it in Chambers, though designated there as Scottish. Very little doubt about the answer, though.

7. says:

AZURE

Oh, OK then I suppose. It had never even occurred to me that the first syllable could rhyme with “hay”.

Wil Ransome