Everyman 3150/Feb 11 – Belgium

Posted by ilancaron on February 18th, 2007

ilancaron.

I really wanted to be able to say that if it’s Tuesday it must be Belgium. But sorry it’s Sunday. I’m hoping someone will explain 6D for me. Everyman has done so below…

1 BUCKLE[r] – Turns out that BUCKLER is a small shield. The wordplay made this easy enough.
4 UP,MARKET – “at college” is “UP at university”. “Demanding higher prices” (for better quality, right? ) is a cryptic def for UPMARKET.
10 NEAR MISS – NEAR and “tight” can be synonyms in a spatial sense (near fit, tight fit).
14 LAZY PAINTER – simple charade for a new term for me describing a kind of “rope”.
18 THE GRADU,AT,E – The well-known Dustin Hoffman movie: daughter* followed by AT and [avenu]E.
22 TEST PILOT – “high flier” is cryptic def and what he does is go “up” to conduct a “trial”.
24 QUI(X,O)T,I,C – QUIT contains X (“ten”) and O (“ring”) followed by I (“one”) and C (“about”). Quite a few very familiar cryptic idioms make this easy.
25 FINGER – fringe*. “Badly cut” is the anagrind making the surface consistently hirsute.
26 EXE,CRATE – “dumped beside” allows the setter to decide on which side! CRATE is slang for “banger” which is slang for jalopy which is slang for… etc. EXE is a common cryptic TLR (three-letter river).
27 BRUT,US – “dry” is BRUT as in champagne. Embarrassed to say that I didn’t know that BRUTUS committed suicide.

1 B,RUSSEL[l],S – Bertrand RUSSELL’s our philosopher. Who also happened to be British. And our first Belgian town.
3 LI(E.G.)E – And the next one.
5 PRESENT ARMS – Military “salute”.
6 AARONS ROD – It’s a type of flower – the kind that blossoms. Not sure about the “book” (other than the Bible)? Here’s the clue: “Flower in book”. Thanks to Everyman below: it’s a novel by DH Lawrence
8 TEST,ED – An “international” cricket match is a TEST match. Not sure if applies to other sports as well (?).
12 OLIVE(R TWIS)T – Violet* contains wrist*: fairly unusual construct – an anagram containing another anagram.
15 POT VALOUR – (poor vault)* — with a drink or two inside of you, you’re ready for anything.
16 F(A,N)LIGHT – a kind of skylight.
19 MOS(QU)E – one of my last clues: some* contains QU. I’ve been conditioned to substitute ER for Queen, so it took some time for QU to occur to me.
20 J,A,NICE – my last clue. J for “Jack” escaped me – I was in a one-track nautical mindset. JANICE is our “girl” this time.
23 PRIOR – two meanings: a PRIOR is actually lower in rank to the Abbot who’s in charge at the monastery, thus “deputy head”.

9 Responses to “Everyman 3150/Feb 11 – Belgium”

1. says:

6 down – AARON’S ROD, a novel by D H Lawrence.

2. says:

Hi Ilan.

Chambers says a test match is an international sports match (esp cricket) usu forming part of a series. We certainly get ‘em in rugger over here.

3. says:

Thanks Everyman – I found this, not from my menory but from the Wikipedia “disambiguation page” on Aaron’s Rod. These pages are probably a good place to find this kind of knowledge when it’s not in your head.

4. says:

As usual Peter is spot-on — my excuse is that I’m now using the “Wikipedia” Google gadget which often just gives you canned synopsis of what it thinks you want: in this case I got the biblical description. And I just stopped.

Must learn to persevere.
    Must learn to persevere.
    Must learn to pers

5. says:

Re Aaron’s Rod, I lazily assumed it was a reference to the Bible, usually referred to as book. Looks rather like a triple clue to me.

6. says:

Sarah, yeah I could only think of the biblical reference as well but cluing an event/biblical theme simply as “book” is far too vague. So I think it’s just a double deifintion.

7. says:

As I have said before, I solve this some weeks behind. I usually read Ilan’s posting after completing or very nearly completing the puzzle.
    This week in my Orkut community I had to answer a query why up = at college.
    I try not to use any electronic aid and this week the only clue I have not get as yet is 7 dn, the answer for which has not been revealed above.
    Every other letter of the six-letter word is there and apparently it is made up of three bits and pieces… maybe the answer will dawn on me when I sleep over it (with my wife next to me).

8. says:

I was able to get the answer before going to bed. It was delayed because I was misreading a letter that I had entered carelessly in the grid. It was also a question of figuring out which was the definition for word required.

9. says:

I forget what 7D was… remind us?