Independent 6349 / Dac – Beau Nash, Fashionista

Posted by bensand on February 21st, 2007

bensand.

My first blog and I’m relieved to get off the mark with no problems! Particularly as I found Monday’s Mass unnervingly hard going! Today’s crossword a good mix of anagrams, homophones and double definitions.

8 ASHORE – (a horse)* Up and trotting with a straightforward anagram
9 BEAU NASH – “Bone ash” The last to be filled in. I wasn’t really familiar with either but the homophone is clearly indicated and it seemed convincing
13 FASHIONISTA – (hats in sofia)*
14 ASH – A + SH(E) – Took me longer to justify than to solve and even now I’m not sure there’s not a better explanation lurking
15 SE(A SHANTI)ES
20 DOUGLAS HOME – He’s about as far back as I go in remembering PMs accurately but luckily he’s double-barrelled so that makes life easier. Douglas is the capital of IOM
23 EARBASH – (bear has)*
24 F + ALAS + HA(S) – An obscure word for me but with a couple of letters the construction is straighforward
25 C + LASHING

1 SALS + IF + Y – A vegetable patch in the top left was not playing to my strengths. Y an ever-popular unknown
2 GHOULS – “Goole’s” I have to admit a paltry knowledge of Yorkshire geography, I thought Goole was in Cheshire / Lancashire
3 BRASSICA – “Brassie” + CA. I’m not too keen on the homophone element here, I’d have thought the i sound was wrong. Brassie a popular golf club for crosswords that I’ve never heard mentioned in commentary. I wonder if PG Wodehouse made it up.
7 C + HU (RC) H – I liked the smooth surface to this one
10 HYMN – H(OL)Y M(E)N extremes of holy and men
15 SID(ER)EAL – ER in (ladies)*. An ever popular crossword abbreviation for the queen to construct a word I’ve come across surprisingly often in crosswords.
16 HOUR HAND – “Our hand”
19 WRENCH – double definition. I was slow to get this, is wrench as a tool American? Anyway, if so then Americans deserve a break as 22d may have been hard!
20 DRACHM – CARD (rev) + HM. Could have had queen for headmaster to recall the rhyme.
22 OS + SIAN – I liked the extremely current reference to construct the ancient poet. Sian Lloyd, a weathergirl recently separated from the thankfully distinctively named Lembit Opik.

7 Responses to “Independent 6349 / Dac – Beau Nash, Fashionista”

1. says:

I think you are spot on with 14ac. I had considered whether it was the name Asha that was curtailed but I only know the name from the Cornershop song.

Interesting that ASHORE in today’s Quantum puzzle is clued using ASH while here a different tack is taken.

2. says:

Hidden theme alert! I noticed while solving that there were lots of SH’s and words with S and A. Looking again, all but one of the Acrosses contain ASH, including ASH itself. The only one that doesn’t: WED. Reason: today is ASH WED(nesday). I now recall thinking something was afoot when I saw the big black shapes in the middle of the right and left edges but then forgot about it in my rush to solve quickly. A really good puzzle I thought, and that was before noticing the theme.

3. says:

Whoops, can’t believe I didn’t notice that! It was a good puzzle and that makes it a better one.

4. says:

Dac is considered one of the setters least likely to have a theme or a Nina, which may have caught a few people out. Welcome to the blog, Ben, and I hope the puzzles continue to keep you entertained.

5. says:

I did not spot the theme either, so thanks, Peter, though, with hindsight I found the puzzle a bit harder than Dac usually is. Presumably as word choices were restricted by the theme. So maybe I should have wondered if something was afoot. I also completely missed a theme in one of my first reviews here – a Merlin puzzle. Also discovered by Peter…

While Dac does not generally do themes in the Indy, he has done so in the Listener thematic series as Smokey though he’s not appeared there for a while.

6. says:

Those who show off by pointing out the theme or Nina when someone else is writing may be hoist by their own petard sooner than they think – see the comments on today’s Times for the Times entry!

7. says:

BRASSICA

Old words for golf clubs are brassie (equivalent to about a 2-wood), spoon (3-wood), baffie (not sure but think it’s a 4-wood), mashie (5-iron), niblick (8-iron?) and no doubt several others. The words are not used for today’s clubs.

I also felt that the “i” sound was wrong, but perhaps Dac pronounces the word “brassie” as someone from Goole does, which makes it less of a worry.