Guardian 24019/Araucaria – no Brer Rabbit?

Posted by linxit on March 8th, 2007

linxit.

Solving time approx. 20 minutes.

Araucaria again. I got him last week too, on the Wednesday. What have I done to deserve this? Actually most of it wasn’t too bad today, although I got stuck for a while on the last couple of answers (5D and 19D), and had to guess 1D – no idea if I’ve guessed right. I was surprised that Brer Rabbit didn’t make an appearance in the thematic clues.

6 UNS(HAKE)N – I knew it was a fish inside NUNS*, but couldn’t think which one until I got (21,3,25).
9 TO(WAR)D – Tod is a traditional name for a fox (although I’ve only come across it in crosswords).
10 FLAN,ERIE
11 C,HOLES,TEROL (let or*)
15 B(RE(R)F)OX – not sure how “low-lying feature” is a definition/description of him though. Haven’t read Uncle Remus since I was about 8.
17 MU(RDO=rod*)CH – Sky pilot…very droll.
18 DEVA,STATION – Deva was the Latin name for Chester.
23,7 JE(ROME,K)ER,N – is he somehow related to the main Uncle Remus theme? I couldn’t find a connection.
24 CALV(ADO)(e)S

1 GEORGE? – just guessing because it fits – first I thought maybe Kern might have an associate called George Harris, but apparently not. I found out that George III had the nickname Farmer George, but that doesn’t seem relevant either.
2 UNCLE(a)R,EMUS – I got this from the ..M?S at the end plus thinking what author could fit (4,8,6), and all the thematic stuff just fell into place together.
4 BA(TH(e),CU)BE
5 NE,WC,OMER – last one I put in – Saint-Omer is in Artois, but I was working back from the answer.
8 NO,EL – “boy like 21″ because most of the letters are the same I suppose.
12 TAX(EVAS)I,ON – “save” reversed in there
13 KOH-I-NOOR – (r)HINO in ROOK rev., worked out after putting in the answer immediately from the enumeration (3-1-4). What else could it be?
14 CH(IN,L)ESS – “probably going to wonder”, as it’s almost always used in the phrase “chinless wonder”
19 A,XEMA,N – was tempted by APEMAN, but luckily looked up gull and found that it’s in the genus xema. But who’s Koko? If it was a famous electric guitarist I would have heard of him, and it’s not the sort of name you’d associate with an executioner…
21,3,25 JOEL,CHANDLER,HARRIS – 3 straight definitions for each part of his name, but I still needed the hint from 2D to get it.

12 Responses to “Guardian 24019/Araucaria – no Brer Rabbit?”

1. says:

Yeah 1D is GEORGE — and it’s in ref to both Farmer George the III (thanks wikipedia) and George Harris of Jerome K (Kern initially!) Jerome’s chum on his boat.

2. says:

i meant george AND harris…

3. says:

Koko was the Lord High Executioner (and much else besides) in the Mikado.

4. says:

D’oh! I’ve never got around to reading Three Men In a Boat. Shame on me!

5. says:

Nor G&S :-(

6. says:

Well I got just about everything except the gull and Joel Chandler Harris – never heard of him I’m afraid, I always thought that nice Uncle Remus wrote the books! I wasn’t too keen on ‘gives birth almost’ for CALVS -the convention that ‘almost’ means ‘going most of the way along the word but not quite to the end’ seems quite sensible to me. Also interesting to note in 2 down ‘on’ is used to mean under – one of those clues that would work fine in an across clue but looks odd in a down.

7. says:

oddly enough, Koko the chimpanzee is a well-known primate (and, in true American style, involvd in a sexual harassment suit) — so I was sorely tempted by APEMAN.

8. says:

Quick route to Victorian/Edwardian culture – these bits, anyway:

Jerome K Jerome: read Three Men in a Boat, and if Three Men on the Bummel comes in the same volume, read that too, for fun. Dept. of useless info: the K stands for Klapka – not some exotic Eastern European name as I once imagined, but a version of Clapp, his father’s original surname, apparently.

G & S: See the Mikado in full, then crib plot summaries for Iolanthe, Pirates, Pinafore, Yeomen of the Guard, Ruddigore, Trial by Jury. And listen to “The Anna Russell Album” which tells you how to make your own G & S operetta and tells you all need to know about Wagner’s Ring into the hilarious bargain.

9. says:

Let me get this straight. Koko, the Lord High Executioner of Gilbert and Sullivan sued three men in a boat for sexual harassment, witnessed by a farmer called Geroge and Franz Klapka?

I’ll go and lie down now…

10. says:

The name george comes from the Greek for ‘farmer’.

11. says:

No 24,019 (Araucaria)

You did this in 20 minutes? I still (april 1) can’t get 4 Across (B-N-E-), the clue being ‘Good catch at cover (6)’. And why is 9 Down ‘Noel’ (if it is)? Did Coward write something about hating trains?

Shamefacedly,
    Alistair

12. says:

Blimey, going back a long time. I admire your persistence!

4ac is BONNET – BON (good) + NET (catch).

9dn is NOEL. EL is short for “elevated railroad”. It’s in most dictionaries as such, but one you either know or you don’t, I suppose. It’s American slang – I think the one in Chicago is the most well-known.