Independent 6380/Bannsider – bruising

Posted by ilancaron on March 29th, 2007

ilancaron.

Solving time: 59′ (missing two answers)

This felt like a fairly hard Times — and I’m going to hazard a guess that Bannsider slums there as well. I spent too much time on the bottom right and finally gave up in disgust. With myself. This, coupled with several wordplays that escape me, makes for an unhappy blogger. Nonetheless some fine clues that left me admiring the compiler (while wallowing in self-loathing of course).

1 BE(R)T,IE – I BET even his mother didn’t dare call Albert Einstein this. Is R a standard abbrev for “relativity”?
4 PEACOCK – I had to ask my sister, who is conveniently also in London, who the characters were in the game Cluedo. This is the kind of thing she remembers.
9 SUICIDE PACT – (US, i=one, I’d accept)*. Macabre but amusing cryptic def and anag.
11 CLEO – take the O (“love”) from [Old King] COle and move it to the end and get an Old Queen.
12 ANTARCTICA – it’s a “land” but I haven’t cracked the wordplay.
13 M(IN,DS)ET – I assume that DS is Detective Sergeant as in Lewis? MET even I know is Metropolitan Police.
15 TRO,THE,D – Another mystery: once you’ve drunk the champagne and started the dancing, you discover you’re married? Not sure about the TRO.
16 CASTLED – Oh no, another mystery: def is “moved to defend” and we have a DC backwards surrounding something… offers?
18 SIENESE – (is seen, E)*. Finally back on safe Tuscan ground: ref. SIENESE school of art.
19 EVAN(E)S,CENT=”sent” – About as Brit as they come: don’t know how I remembered Chris EVANS (UK radio personality). Note how EVANS’ “head” is contained (“held”).
22 IND[ependent] – Embarrassingly another wordplay that I don’t see: “Using this paper briefly test team of poets?”
23 [d]IM,[n]I,[e]TATIVEL,[fl]Y – Pretty complex wordplay: levitate, in, mid all have their tails removed and then reversed. Not my favourite adjective for describing what parrots do best either.
25 FUR,LONG – My fav clue: that’s what Persian cats are renowned for and it’s a lot of feet (660 = 220 yards).
26 ???S?N – “Cook orders leg”.

1 BI[o]S – Another term for encore!
2 RAISE ONES DANDER – (see red and so rain)*: anag &lit.
4 PLAY-A,CT – Nice clue with def shifting from verb to noun. Empty C[hicken hu]T yields CT and PLAYA is a Spanich beach.
6 OSTRICH FEATHERS – (of hair stretches)* and def is just “down”
8 PE(ANU)T – two red-herrings here: George Stubbs who painted horses (his “favourite animal” and a carter who pulls carts: in fact it’s Jimmy CARTER (well-known PEANUT farmer as well as ex-Pres) and rev(Una) Stubbs.
11 COMIC RELIEF – OK, it’s a major Brit fund-raising org but my final wordplay mystery?
18 SIN(BA)D – rev(AB=another sailor) in SIND, which is a Pakistani province — I thought it was spelt Sindh. Oh well.
21 ?I?? – “Word of support coming out of Latin exam.”
24 YIN – really fine clue: as YIN and Yang, and hidden in “dallYINg”.

9 Responses to “Independent 6380/Bannsider – bruising”

1. says:

Anatarctica is an Arctic (from the band Arctic Monkeys) within ANTA as heart of “a fantasy”

Castled is delta for D and C reversed around S (I think)

26 is LAWS + ON = Nigella a cook. The legside is also the onside in cricket.

21 is VIVA, an abbreviation for viva voce for an oral exam and an expression of support.

11d the wordplay defeats me utterly!

I was very glad I wasn’t blogging this, I only had two answers after 10 minutes!

2. says:

15 TOOTHED “With champers = teeth TOO over

3. says:

I think 15 across is ‘toothed’ not ‘trothed’. ‘With champers’, ie things that champ. Wordplay then straightforward.

4. says:

16 CASTLED D = delta 22 IND (Poetic word for India who have a test cricket team) 12 ANTARCTICA antic = fantasy is in there somewhere but I do not get the rest. And, yes, Bannsider is a Times setter.

5. says:

ANTARCTICA Sorry, Bensan, I somehow missed your explanation (which I most definitely needed!)

6. says:

11D: I think the idea is that a “heavy breather” is the opposite of “comic relief”, by way of {heavy = serious} and {breather = period of rest = relief}. 27 minutes here, so a tough one.

7. says:

Thanks to Peter for explaining COMIC RELIEF. My theory was that a “heavy breather” makes phone calls without speaking, so would be unable to make the required phone pledge…. (scuttles off into a corner)

8. says:

Obviously no other Bannsiders visit this blog site, because I’ve just been tipped off by the setter that Bertie Peacock is a legendary former Coleraine FC footballer.

9. says:

BERTIE PEACOCK I did not notice this when solving the puzzle. Bertie, who passed away not so long ago, was one of the stars when Northern Ireland reached the Quarter-finals of the World Cup in Sweden in 1958.