Guardian 24,043, Paul: Potter (about)

Posted by michod on April 5th, 2007

michod.

After Brendan and Virgilius a couple of weeks ago, is this another occasion of the Guardian and Indy setter coinciding? I’m probably wrong as usual, but I believe Paul and Punk are one and the same. Some delightful clues here anyway.

The theme here dropped reasonably early for me, when Harry seemed a good bet for 11 across. Those less familiar with the Rowling oeuvre might have had problems with some of the minor characters.

Across:

4. S(N)IFTER. Nicely misleading.

11,1. HARRY POTTER. The author here being Beatrix.

12, 23. PROFESSOR SNAPE. Can’t quite see why, though. Any offers?

13. ROWLING. Nice, if obviously apposite, homonym. Does anyomne pronounce the ‘w’?

15, 10. SIRIUS BLACK. Harry’s kind but misunderstood godfather.

19. MA(CBE)TH. Lovely way to break the word, and a great definition, referring to stage superstition about ‘the Scottish play’.

22. AN CE(n)/STRAL. Switching pole means changing N to S here.

26. RASTA. Slightly odd clue – hidden in ‘foR a STArt’, the definition is ‘he’s black and dreads his’, intended to mean someone who is black and has dreadlocks.

28. DIS SECT. Good charade. Hell = dis is pretty much a given, but ‘cult from hell’ is nice.

19. T Y(CO)ON. That=yon was the unexpected bit, but works.

DOWN:

2. TOPER. REPOT<. Wondered briefly if report was the answer, but that would make ‘and’ redundant.

4. SINU(OU)S. Where in Bayeux= ou. A tricky clue.

8. HATPEG. THE GAP*. Leaving ‘on which cap’ as the definition, slightly feeling the lack of a verb.

14. ROW< M(C)ASTS. Poles used here as a definition for masts, wormcasts those little coiled turds of sand you see on the beach.

16. RICE PADDY. As in Tim Rice, and throwing a paddy.

18. RARE BIT. I think of ‘blue’ meat as very very rare, but does it mean raw? It would have to for this to work.

25,19. DRA(COMA)L(i)F(e)OY. The nasty mean baddie.

10 Responses to “Guardian 24,043, Paul: Potter (about)”

1. says:

You’re right. Paul and Punk ARE one and the same. All of which made for a demanding lunchtime!

2. says:

But which is better, Harry Potter or Radio 4? There’s only one way to find out …

FIGHT!!!

3. says:

18D – I can’t find any reference to blue indicating raw (meat).

12,23 – The best I could come up with was:

PRO,FE(SS0R,SNAP

4. says:

Is there a limit to these comments! That should read:
    PRO,FE(SSOR,SNAP

5. says:

That’s twice I’ve tried to leave a comment and it’s cut it off where I put an arrow to indicate reverse – what’s going on?

6. says:

I was also going to say that I had trouble with the theme because I’ve been pronouncing Rowling to rhyme with scowling.

7. says:

for = PRO
    flipping eternal youth’s a boy = SSOR,SNAP (Pan as in Peter)
    in the money = FEE

8. says:

Thanks for the explanation Chris, and don’t give up Sarah – I can see you were making the same point!

9. says:

Sarah you’re probably using an angle bracket to indicate reversal which (unfortunately or fortunately depending on your perspective) is interpreted by the HTML editor here. Best to avoid them and simply use e.g. rev(reddof)…

And having never read past chap 1 of the first HP book (fell asleep — found it boring and stilted — Swallows and Amazons was infinitely superior… oh, perhaps I’ve aged??), I was severely handicapped today and had to invoke the younger generation for expert advice.

10. says:

Thanks for the parsing tip! I was also trying to say that I found the extraneous “a” in 12,23 “flipping eternal youth’s a boy” a little distracting. Maybe it’s okay in a daily crossword, but it seemed as though every other bit of the clue was carefully accounted for.

And does anyone else have a problem with 18D = RAREBIT?