Guardian 24067 / Orlando Superior Fare

Posted by tilsit on May 3rd, 2007

tilsit.

Solving Time:  14 minutes

I picked this up while munching on my Wheatybangs and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Orlando is, one of the setters on the Graun that is taken for granted; his puzzles contain lots of current cultural references and a nice degree of wit, very similar to Dac in the Indy every Wednesday.  Another feature of Orlando is that his anagrams are usually very apposite, and sometimes not easy to detect.

This was a most enjoyable and amusing challenge.

The Indy has just come hurtling through the door.  I take a crafty look at who
today’s setter is…….  Thank goodness I got the Graun today to blog, otherwise I’ll be probably still be solving it at half eleven tonight.

ACROSS (* = ANAGRAM (R) = REVERSAL  def= DEFINITION)

1   PARE DOWN       This was actually the last clue I solved and I am not 100% sure whether it is a cryptic def or P (Power) +   AREAD (SWAY) + OWN??
5   PRIZES                PRIES with z (The Mark of Zorro) inside
9   SUNBONNET     UN B (A Parisian Bishop) in SONNET
11  TABOO              Forbidden (def)  expressions of gratitude and disapproval  (TA +BOO)
12  COLONEL BOGEY   Colon (Yes, there’s one there!) +  EL (The Spanish) + BOGEY (A golfing score)
15  OBOE                O = Love (as in tennis) + BOE (Odd letters of “broker”)
16  ASTOUNDING           T (Time) inside A SOUNDING = measurement of depth at sea
18  BUDDY HOLLY         BUDDY = Friend and HOLLY =  companion to IVY in the Christmas song
19  ONCE              (B)ONCE
21  ARISTOPHANES        OR THESPIAN AS*  Lovely apposite anagram
24  DREAR           D + REAR
25  ROOSEVELT              TO RESOLVE*  A nicely concealed anagram. Def. relates to two presidents of the US with that name.
26  ROSEAU                    I was trying to make NASSAU fit this for a while.  However ROSEAU is the capital of Dominica.
27  WELL TO DO           I had a bit of a problem making this fit as well.  I think it’s TO DO (uPSET) adjoining to WELL (Depression)

DOWN
1   PUSH UP           (R) +  SH (“Sides of SwitcH”) Military Action =  def.
2   RING                 Double def.  Attachment to bird – as in pigeons having rings fitted to identify them & Call (phone)
3   DOO WOP        Another nice & Lit type clue   Sir Henry =   Sir Henry WOOD, founder of the Promenade Concerts.   WOOD (R) + OP
4   WINDOW SHOPPER           Nice cryptic definition  ie Someone who looks, rather than spends.
6   RATSBANE         RATS! (See Peanuts carttons) =  Damn.  BANE = Outlaw.  Def = Sweetheart poison.   I assumed this referred to Shakespeare and something akin to Romeo and Juliet.   It’s used as a poison in King Lear and King Henry IV and VI.  It’s also used as an insult!    Not being a great Bard aficionado, I presume there’s some romance in one of those.
7  ZABAGLIONE        No, not Lena the singer, that was ZAVaRONI (that will date a few gentle readers!)    This is a delicious Italian dessert and an anagram of BEGIN A ZoLA
8  SNOWY EGRET        The first clue I solved.  Tintin’s dog in the UK is SNOWY (Milou in France) and then the reverse  of 1 down REGRETS without wings, i.e. first and last letters.
10 THE WORLD AT ONE          Another clever clue.  THE WORLD =  everyone  ATONE = to make up.
13 TOMB RAIDER            Nice to see reasonably recent computer games getting a mention.  TOM (Male) BRAIDER (Hairdresser)
14 LORDLINESS              Test Venue =  LORDS with a punishemnt for pupils LINES (tilsit was a reasonably good boy at school  and only got lines a couple of times “I must not use get, got or getting in an essay” – 50 times was one)
17 HYSTERIA              THIS YEAR *
20 REHEEL                  “Work at last” is what a cobbler would do.  RE = (Royal) Engineers To HEEL is to list as in tilt  sideways (new one on me – thanks Chambers!)
22 PESO                Hidden answer  “GraPES Of Wrath”
23 OTTO              How many palindromic German kings do you know?

Thanks again to Orlando for a splendid enjoyable puzzle!

12 Responses to “Guardian 24067 / Orlando Superior Fare”

1. says:

1ac. It’s an anagram or POWER AND

8dn. Not sure what your reference to 1dn is, isn’t REGRETS just in the clue?

2. says:

For 6dn I had as RATS+BAN+E BAN = outlaw E = swEetheart and poison being the def.

I too wrote NASSAU in and then failed to see TOMB RAIDER as quickly as I should have. I took a guess at ROSEAU, thanks for confirming it.

3. says:

Oh of course, the colon! I though there was a word missing from the clue. Plus I was distracted by the irrelevant knowledge that Colon is what the Spanish call Columbus.
    Good puzzle – I liked ‘work at last’.

4. says:

Thanks Colin

I took bane being as in “the bane of my life”, but you have probably nailed it.

And a big D’OH over 1 across. I did say he conceals his anagrams well!

5. says:

Unlike 1dn, where you use either end of the word in the solution, in 8dn you take off either end and use the rest of the word in the solution.

And yeah, for 6dn, the definition is just “poison”.

Great puzzle. Orlando is my favourite Guardian setter, I think. Underrated and most definitely underused.

6. says:

Chris, thanks for explaining the ref to 1dn. Occasionally the online and paper editions carry different clues and I assumed I had missed something when I had just misread what tilsit had written.

Tilsit, yes the anagram at 1ac was well hidden. There’s definitely a knack in just letting an anagram just flow naturally into the clue, and that means choosing the right words to anagram. Orlando has that knack. The ROOSEVELT clue is a good example of that. I spent a short while trying to concatenate two presidents names to create the answer before seeing that it was an anagram.

7. says:

Very enjoyable puzzle. I agree that Orlando has a real skill for hiding his anagrams. 1A and 25A had me stumped for a while. And 12A is a beaut, which got the better of me, convinced as I was that the second word had to be BUGGY!

Ali

8. says:

The anagram at 1ac had me as well – great clue & last to go in bar 1dn, though nil points thanks to ZABAGLIONE.

9. says:

I’d suggest that ‘sway’ caught everyone as an anagram indicator more because it isn’t a very good one. It doesn’t really indicate a change of any sort.

10. says:

I guess the intention was either ‘power’ plus ‘and’ taking the plural usage for the verb, or the nounal version with a swinging to and fro of ‘power and’. Certainly, it fails to smash the words/letters to bits.

I recall this from the Nad, either Orlando or Logodiddle-dum-dee some years back:

Let not passion sway philosophers (13).

11. says:

I consider ‘sway’ quite justifiable as an anagram indicator, and I hope I might sway the opinions of the critics.

I suspect the critics are thinking only of the most common meaning of the word ‘sway’ (to move back and forth) but in fact it has a range of meanings, several of which have connotations of change. SOED, for example, gives among the various definitions: “to have a certain direction in movement; to move”.

Incidentally, “Let not passion sway philosophers (13)” was one of mine – published in the Guardian in 1992, I believe. I’m amazed that it should still be remembered.

12. says:

Hmmm, even a definition ‘to move’ doesn’t necessarily mean ‘in a chaotic fashion’. Surely to sway as movement implies ‘all components as one’. ‘Lean’ could be an indicator then. Oh well . . .