Independent 6417 by Phi

Posted by nmsindy on May 11th, 2007

nmsindy.

After yesterday’s super-difficult puzzle by Nestor,  a straightforward one to follow – such alternation is a good policy if it is intended.

Solving time: 10 mins (compared with yesterday’s 71)

* = anagram

6 SMUG  Gums reversed

12 MAN DEL ( led reversed) A (leader i.e. first letter) in Africa.    And of course an excellent & lit.

13 POTOROO  (too poor)*   New word for me – a marsupial related to the kangaroo.

14 STAGE WHISPERS   P (Parking) in (sightseer was)*

21 C RO ONE R

22 MONS TERm

25 L (ASS) O

DOWN

1 SKIRt M (head of militia) IS H

4 IMP E (AC) H    Bill = ac (account) what? = eh?

5 TANT PIS  French ant in (pits)*

9 RUN THE GAUNT LET

15 AT A LOW EBB  (Bowel)* in a tab – after comment on a recent Rufus thread re Ximenean standards, better not wonder about the apparent nounal anagram indicator “movement”.

16 Y (EAR) BO OK  (boy)*

18 HAR(sh)NESS

23 Nikola TESLA    Hidden in appropriate text.

9 Responses to “Independent 6417 by Phi”

1. says:

First of all, what a great site. Tremendous to have so many accomplished cruciverbalists in one place, sharing their expertise.
    I actually struggled with today’s Indy and imagine other people might have too. Here are the missing answers therefore from nmsindy’s post above.

ACROSS
    1 SORE POINT Double def
    10 INDIA I+N+AID

2. says:

Seems to be a character / line limit on comments? One more try:
    11 PENPUSHER PEN(=prison)+PUSHER
    17 ANTIHISTAMINE Surprising anagram of IT IS IN A MAN and THE
    24 TREACHERY T(R=king)EACHER+Y
    26 HOBO Hack Off Buss Operator. ‘Hack off’ was sneaky since I went after synonyms at first.
    27 SIDETRACK S(IDETR)*ACK

DOWN
    2 RODIN ROD+IN
    3 PLATE TECTONICS Anagram of ACCEPT LIST and NOTE
    7 MAHARISHI {I+H(=hard)+SIR+AHAM(=a clumsy sort)}

3. says:

7 MAHARISHI {I+H(=hard)+SIR+AHAM(=a clumsy sort)}

4. says:

8 GORDON GO(RD)ON. A goon is a hired thug.
    19 SAMOYED (SOME DAY)*
    20 SCOTCH S(COT)CH

5. says:

Steven, if there are clues that you found hard (or got stuck on), by all means mention them or ask – you’ll usually get a fairly prompt response. We don’t do full answer sets in case the papers think they’ll lose income on those ‘phone for the answers’ premium rate services. I don’t know of a comment size limit – I’m sure we’ve had pretty epic comments in the past.

6. says:

Cheers Pete. I think you may have missed the point of my comments – I was giving not soliciting answers – but otherwise point taken. The size limit seems to be a Mac + Firefox issue.

7. says:

Hi Steven – I think Neil is always looking for new bloggers for this site esp for the Indy – as you solve it all, maybe you’d be interested.

The point re giving the answers is that the newspaper offers them on a premium rate line so if they all appeared someone could look here rather than ring the phone line. The paper could be annoyed. Because of this, the approach taken by this and other blogs is to give some answers only (usually at least half). In practice, the trickier or problem clues will usually be mentioned. And, as Peter has said, any specific queries, if raised here, will normally be answered.

8. says:

It makes a lot of sense, as you both point out. In fact I did wonder immediately after my posting frenzy (post-haste?) if there wasn’t some reason why answers were omitted. It seems the first posts I looked at were for week-old Saturday prize puzzles, appearing on the same day as the printed solution, so really just offering an explanation of freely available answers. I went back after my frenzy though and looked at the other, daily, posts and saw the same selective blogging as on this page. That led me to read the ‘About Fifteensquared’ page, where I first got the point. And then the blood drained from my cheeks as I anticipated a swoop of normative force upon my comments that would bring me into line. So it’s triply understood.
    I’d be delighted to blog on here, but my puzzling habits are sporadic. (And I don’t do the crossword too often either. Boom boom.) Do you think Neil needs someone to do specified dates and publications on a regular basis? Or just blog the unblogged when I have time?

9. says:

Steven

If you e-mail Neil at the address given under the contributors section [email protected], I’m sure he’ll advise you on how best to advance it.