Guardian 24083/Puck — one for the birds

Posted by Colin Blackburn on May 22nd, 2007

Colin Blackburn.

A quick grid fill with some clever clues and some nice inter-linking. I missed the wordplay in a couple but got the answers okay.

7,18 THE CAT’S WHISKERS — (CRESS WITH H(orse) STEAK)* — One definition is “the best” the other hint is a reference to the cat food Whiskas not being the dog’s breakfast?.
8 JOHANNA — H in JOANNA — Joanna is Cockney rhyming slang for piano. I’ve not checked if Johanna is a vision for Bob D. or D. Thomas.
9 TWIN — W in TIN = “Cannes” — a clever homophone in the clue rather than the answer.
15,16,17 DOG’S BREAKFAST — double def. — Pal is a brand of dog food.
20 STOOL — LOOTS< — this wouldn’t look out of place in the Eye crossword!
21 GOOSANDER — (ORANGE SOD)* — a goosander is a diving duck related to the smew and merganser.
24 TRIGGER — ? — (Roy) Roger’s screen partner is Trigger. I’ve not checked where Twice G. fits in.
25 PYJAMAS — double def. — The cat’s pyjamas are just the thing.
3 STUBBY — S+TUBBY — a clever little clue.
4 NOTEBOOK — ETON< + BOOK — Eton is a classic crossword school.
6 ANEW — cellophANE Wrong — a good surface that almost got me with the question mark interrupting the hiding place.
14 OUSEL — ? — The European Dipper is also known as the Water Ousel, though the Ousel itself is a very different bird. I haven’t worked out the word play.
16 BEE-EATER — BEEF-EATER – F(inger) — the third bird and the most colourful of the three, an occasional visitor to Britain.
20 STRAYS — ST(reet) RAYS — and a reference back to cats that probably don’t enjoy Whiskas.

7 Responses to “Guardian 24083/Puck — one for the birds”

1. says:

14D Timid person is MOUSE and L for Large is big

24A Twice G = GG = Gee-gee = A Horse
    I liked that. If hadn’t already got the crossing R I’m sure I’d’ve given Astaire some serious thought.

2. says:

Twice G. Rogers’ partner on screen (7)

From GU Talk Crosswords we learn that ‘twice G’ = ‘gee-gee’ = ‘horse’ = trigger. Hmm.

Trigger lived from 1932 – 1965, during which time he was a ruddy great big Golden Palomino.

3. says:

“Visions of Johanna” is a Bob Dylan classic – from the Blonde on Blonde album.

4. says:

8 Bob Dylan, Visions of Johanna (from album Blonde on Blonde, 1966)

5. says:

Or what Neil just said!

6. says:

Doh! I don’t know why I missed the GG reference. I think I convinced myself that the reference was to the double G in TRIGGER. Thanks to all for that.

Thanks also for the Bob Dylan reference. That was just lazy on my part.

OUSEL is (m)OUSE + L = large = big. Don’t know how I missed that one either.

7. says:

It’s GG in TRIER, ‘n’ all.