Independent 6428/Math

Posted by neildubya on May 24th, 2007

neildubya.
10 ORATE – the muse for love poetry is Erato so you switch the E and O round to get ORATE.
12 EARLY BIRD – I didn’t know what an “archaeopteryx” was but I had E????I?D filled in so took a chance that it might have been some sort of pre-historic bird and that the clue was a CD (or is it a double-defintion? Or even a cryptic double-definition? Answers on a postcard please).
13 (UP LACY TIE)*
16 O,U,T,DO – the definition “better” does seem to stick out a bit.
17 (PLANE IS ON EDGE OR)* – this is excellent. The surface reading is very smooth and misleading and the definition (“one who’s getting on”) is very well-hidden.
21 RIVALLING – only just twigged how this works. “8 goal draw” is IV ALL (that is, 4-4 or 4 ALL) and arena is RING.
25 DR,ESS – nothing to do with global positioning satellites. G.P is DR and S is ESS.
27 C,O, PE in ORATE – “Charlie and Oscar” refers to the NATO alphabet letters.

1 S AND I,EG,O – “leaders from Staten Island” are S AND I. Nice clue.
2 IPECAC – a new word to me and the last one I filled in. “22 destroyed” indicates an anagram of 22 (which is ICECAP). With ?P?C?C I had to decide where to scatter the vowels and, to be honest, APECIC and EPACIC both looked pretty convincing to me (IPACEC less so, for some reason). After a couple of minutes mulling it over I thought “Sod it, I’ll aks Google”.In case you’re wondering, it’s an emetic or purgative.
3 NED<,Y – 20A and 20D are REBUT and REFUSE, both of which can mean DENY.
6 (POOL MAINLY)* – POLYNOMIAL. I think I got this by knowing that -NOMIAL words are usually maths-related.
7 H in (NOT MALI)* – I didn’t know that HAMILTON was the capital of Bermuda but the anagram sort of leapt out at me. The clue doesn’t really make sense though – how can the capital of one country become the capital of another?
14 LIGHTS,PEED – Monk used “weed” in a similar way in last Saturday’s puzzle.
18 IAN in ROBED (going up) – nice smooth surface reading.

14 Responses to “Independent 6428/Math”

1. says:

Bugger. 2d – I went for EPACIC. Sick as a parrot here.

2. says:

Re: 7 Down, I’ll admit that this is extremely unlikely, but there is a scenario in which the Bermudans could head south to Hispaniola and take over Haiti, and install Port-au-Prince as their new capital, obviously fighting off the Malians, who also have designs on the country for some reason – maybe to do with voodoo. Well, I did say it was extremely unlikely.

3. says:

Actually, I got that wrong. The Bermudans gave up the idea of invading Mali as it’s harder to get to.

4. says:

Stoutly defended, eimi.

5. says:

Actually, all true crossword fans in Mali have been campaigning for years to have Lima as their capital.

Really nice puzzle – great to see ICECAP and IPECAC in there together!
    Also the REBUT/REFUSE/DENY thing. And weed/peed caught me out AGAIN!

6. says:

No-one’s mentioned 5 down “Follower of King Edward could be found at front of jet?” It’s ?E?R and has defeated me – tentatively guessing HEIR. That EARLY BIRD in 12 ac is a fossil from way, way, back.

7. says:

i’m betting it’s LEAR (jet) and Edward LEAR

8. says:

That occurred to me (though I did not know about jet) – also thought of King Lear.

9. says:

5D – I’m sure LEAR is right. “Follower of King Edward” must refer to both King Lear and Edward Lear.

10. says:

Yes, that’s it – and curiously, after doing the crossword, was reading an article, on the Falklands War, where Lear-jets were mentioned twice! If I’d read the article first, would I have got it? You never know.

11. says:

Archaeopteryx – from old Greek, combining ‘ancient’ and ‘feather’ or ‘wing’ – is the earliest and most primitive known bird. It lived in the late Jurassic Period around 155-150 million years ago in what is now southern Germany. In German, it is also known as the Urvogel, a German word meaning ‘original bird’ or ‘first bird’.

That’s what the voices are telling me, so ‘early bird': groovy.

12. says:

… strange that ‘in German, it is known (by) a German word.

That’s very unusual.

13. says:

That sheds a little more light for me on the ur = original you occasionally see in cryptic build-up in the advanced crosswords.

14. says:

Our dog often comes out with it.

‘Where have you been all day?’ we say, and ‘Ur, Urrr’, he replies.

We don’t buy it, frankly, especially when you consider how the city was never really the same after Sargon of Akkad attacked it, and that was 4347 years ago. Nope, our dog’s just as likely been out chasing squirrels.

But never mind our canine disciplinary problems. In addition to the German ‘pfx’ meaning ‘original’ or ‘primitive’, Ur makes it into Wikepedia as: you guessed it, a minor Gnostic deity.