Financial Times 12489/Gozo

Posted by neildubya on June 20th, 2007

neildubya.

Good fun, and reasonably easy although 15A and 4D held me up a bit for reasons explained below. I didn’t realise the FT had so many setters on their team; as well as those mentioned here (under their Guardian or Indie pseudonyms) we’ve also had Jason, Adamant, Highlander, Falcon and Gozo. I wonder how many more there are?

1 R.EMI in PERES
6 S,PROG – SPROG is British slang but probably well-known enough for overseas solvers.
9 (ARTICLE)* – took me far too long that this was a simple anagram clue.
15 A TURN in SALIAN – the last one to go in and something of a guess as I did not know that SALIAN meant “relating to a tribe of Franks, the Salii”.
20 (GROMIT THE)* – Wallace and Gromit must be really famous if they’re appearing in crosswords. This is what a TIGER MOTH  looks like, in case you were wondering.
22 NO,TES – Nice clue. “Teachers’ weekly” is a reference to the Times Educational Supplement.
26 ATISHOO – “a tissue”.
28 HEARS in REAL

1 hidden in “proPER ILlumination”
2 EX,CLAIM – I filled this in without really understanding the bit about “miner’s right”; turns out that CLAIM can mean “a piece of land allotted to or taken by someone in order to be mined” (according to the COED)
3 IN TRANSIT – a nod to the contemporary British phrase “white van man” (meaning a particular type of person driving a certain vehicle in an “assertive” way). Probably ok for overseas solvers as “en route” and the enumeration (2,7) make the clue fairly easy.
4 RALLENTANDO – I wonder if there is a word missing from this clue? It reads “Slowing down has torn about everything, comes to nothing” which accounts for everything except AND (ALL in RENT,O). Maybe it should read “Slowing down has torn about everything and comes to nothing”, unless I’m not seeing something subtle going on?
7 hidden reversed in “spaIN IS SORry”
8 GINGER NUT – a personal favourite of mine (biscuit that is, although the clue is not bad).
16 (ANGER)*,TINA
18 (GET A MAT)*
22 LOOPS (going up)

7 Responses to “Financial Times 12489/Gozo”

1. says:

Setters page: will be updated with a full list of FT setters eventually, but a combination of holiday absences between me and the Indie xwd ed Colin Inman who’s provinding the information may mean a few weeks of waiting.

2. says:

I take it you mean FT xwd ed not Indie

3. says:

The Tag Team “get a mat” discovery in 18D was particularly applaudable.

14a- More of an observation than a criticism. Does modern society really support “Young James” as indicating Jim? Off the top of my head, I can recall meeting plenty of Jamies in the younger generations. However, the only Jims that spring to mind are the likes of Messrs Callaghan, Laker and “Great, Super, Smashing” Bowen.

4. says:

Re 4D, I agree AND does not appear to be clued. I wondered if it was intended to be implicit, i.e. R(ALL)ENT and O, but I think that’s perhaps a bit of a stretch.

I think there was a missing “are” from 26A so perhaps a wayward “and” in 4D is more probable.

I also wasn’t convinced that 26A was pointing to the right part of speech.

“Sneezing – and what is required, we (are) told”

I would have thought “Sneeze” would have been better.

Can you also explain 17A?

“Eminent thought not in route” which I think is OUTSTANDING.

5. says:

17A – I also put OUTSTANDING and, like you, I’m not sure why. It’s possible that “thought” is a typo – perhaps should be “though”, which would make the clue read a bit better. Agree that “Sneeze” would be better for 26A but I think “Sneezing” works ok.

6. says:

Gozo is Doc of the Spectator

7. says:

Re 17A. Assuming “thought” is a tyo then clearly the “not in” gives OUT and I think that STANDING could have a nautical meaning something close to route.