Guardian 24116/Taupi

Posted by neildubya on June 29th, 2007

neildubya.
1 BESIDE THE POINT – double definition.
9 RI,T in IRAN,T – excellent surface reading.
11 H in (METEOR)*
12 DUN,(GONE)*
15 HOMOPHONE – nothing to do with the answer at 4D, simply that “For” sounds like 4.
20 RID(g)ES – I liked “zero gravity” to indicate the lack of a “g”.
23 ENFORCE – sounds like “N for C” which is the replacement you make to turn “salicet” into “salient”. [Edit: as the commenter says below, this should of course be "EN for CE", which is what I meant to write]
25 JUNK MAIL – nice cryptic definition.
26 hidden in “reveaL A BELiever”.
27 CHINLESS WONDER – is this right? If so, I can’t see the wordplay, although “chump from Eton” would seem ok as a definition.

1 (ON RUN BUT THEY)* – BOUNTY HUNTER. Excellent clue, with a well hidden anagrind (“rent”) and a sly definition (“their trailer”).
3 ERG in DETENT – I filled in DETERGENT without understanding the bit about “wheel-checker”. I’ve just looked it up and apparently it means anything that “checks motion”.
5 A,R,L in MODE (all going up) – EARLDOM
6 (s)OFTEN
7 (DONE CROWN)* – NONCE WORD
10 (LINER RATTLES)*
16 reverse hidden in “OIL OF TROPical” – excellent hidden clue as it’s not the kind of word that you’d expect to be hidden.
22 A,K in TEN – I’m assuming that “one” refers to 1A here…? [Edit: this should be OAKEN, see comment below]
24 B in RAID.

11 Responses to “Guardian 24116/Taupi”

1. Peter Owen says:

23A – “N for C” (which doesn’t really sound like ENFORCE) changes SALICET into SALINET which isn’t quite right as the letters are in the wrong order. What you need is “EN for CE”.

22D – I have OAKEN for this. It’s an &lit with AK in (ONE)* as the wordplay and a reference to the tree in which Charles II hid for the definition.

This now leads to EMBROIL for 21A – LI(ORB)MR reversed. What did you have for this?

2. Peter Owen says:

Sorry that should be LI(ORB)ME reversed.

3. Mike M. says:

I had EMBROIL & OAKEN too….these have to be right, no?
    But I’m stumped by the reasoning behing CHINLESS WONDER – any ideas anyone?

4. beermagnet says:

Here’s a suggestion to decode 27A:
    The “Great wall of China” is a “wonder”, so “Great wall of a” is a “Chin” less wonder.

5. says:

I agree with Oaken and embroil but help please on my last two and one gripe as well!

14D – must be SAGEBRUSH but how? GAS going up, BRUSH is a type of plant but that’s inellegant as plant is the definition anyway. Where does the E come from etc!!

19D – TRELLIS i guess but why again. Sure I’m missing the obvious but please put me out of misery.

Gripe.
    9A – I was reluctant to put in IRRITANT as surely it would have to be IRRITATING to = “annoying”?

6. neildubya says:

Oh dear. This is what happens when you try to solve and blog a puzzle in short notice. Thanks for the corrections and explanations, especially 27A. Great clue, now I understand it. I also had SAGEBRUSH and TRELLIS for 14D and 19D but I couldn’t really explain them so maybe someone else can. I also didn’t fill in anything in for 21A (because I had 22D wrong) but forgot to include this in my report. EMBROIL looks right though.

7. jetdoc says:

TRELLIS — reverse of SILLIER(-I, ‘one’ having been overlooked), T (time)

8. jetdoc says:

SAGEBRUSH —

9. jetdoc says:

SAGEBRUSH — sorry, I used an angled bracket. Reverse of BE GAS, RUSH. ‘Be’ = ‘have form of’.

10. mark says:

Any views on my earlier gripe about 9A?

I’m very happy to be corrected. I can’t see that irritant (a noun) = annoying. Never did grammar at school so i resort to substituting words for each other in atrial senstences and can’t see how this would ever work for irritant/annoying. Close but not quite?

cheers

11. Paul B says:

It’s an adjective as well as a noun, old boy.