Independent 6463/Dac

Posted by Colin Blackburn on July 4th, 2007

Colin Blackburn.

A rushed puzzle today which is still unfinished. I have not worked out 18dn or 21ac, I suspect if I got either I’d get the other but I thought I’d get the post out of the way and worry out them later. A good puzzle from Dac with some nice anagrams, good cluing, a few contemporary references and even an &lit thrown in for good measure.

CD = cryptic def.
DD = double def.
* = anagram
< = reversal

1 JOHN DOE — JOHN+DO+(fortun)E — the only questionable definition for me. John Doe is a name used in US court cases for an unnamed male or a name used in detective fiction for an unamed corpse. I’m not sure that it is specifically an average American, especially since half the US population are female and Jane Doe refers to that half. Still, I liked CAN = john and I got it.
9 TARANTINO — TAR(r)ANT+IN+O — Chris Tarrant is a UK TV presenter. He’s famous these days for presenting “Who Wants to be a Millionaire” but many of my generation will know him as the presenter of “Tiswas”.
11 EMERGE — EG+REME< — engineers is often RE (Royal Engineers) but occasionally it is REME (Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers).
12 STUDYING — STU+DYING — Nice use of the film title Stuart Little (about a mouse apparently) to get Stu.
14 CHELSEA TRACTOR — (TH+ACCELERATORS)* — this is current slang for large expensive urban 4×4 cars often found clogging up the streets of Chelsea.
16 THE HISTORY BOYS — HE in THIS TORY BOY’S — re the Alan Bennett play.
20 CHARADES — (SCARE HAD)* — I spent too long trying to fit CARD into the answer.
23 SINAI — SIN+A1 — the A1 runs from London to Edinburgh.

2 HORSESHOE MAGNET — CD — the classic comedy magnet much loved but usually mishandled by Wile E Coyote.
3 DONEGAL — ONE in D+GAL? — I’m not sure about this one. Is D short for drag or have I got the word play wrong?
5 GHOST STORY — HOST’S + T(otally) in GORY — very nice word play providing an enhanced definition.
7 CHEMISTRY MASTER — (MY CHRISTMAS TREE)* — stinks is apparently schoolboy slang for a science teacher. I clearly went to the wrong sort of school as this term was new to me.
8 SLOGGERS — S+LOGGERS — no betters in the grid!
13 SETTLE DOWN — SETTLE+DOWN — Settle is a beautiful North Riding market town.
15 STOCKS UP — STOCK+SUP
19 PETREL — PET+RE+L — I didn’t see the RE=on at first and so tried to find a five letter dog.
22 ITEM — IT + ‘EM &lit — very nice.

8 Responses to “Independent 6463/Dac”

1. nmsindy says:

18D is excellent BELL(I)ES and 21A (s)ALSA CE. I got these towards the end of what I found a much harder puzzle from Dac than usual. Same query as Colin re DONEGAL which I thought of immediately and rejected before settling for it in the end.

2. Colin Blackburn says:

I’m not sure IPO added much to the discussion but thanks Niall for the two missing answers.

3. eimi says:

D is drag in aeronautics – it was new to me too, but it is the fifth definition under D in Collins.

4. conradcork says:

At my school, ‘stinks’ just meant chemistry (the subject). I’d never seen it applied to a master, so I wrote in ‘chemistry’ and waited for the cross checking letters to tell me the rest. (Too lazy to second guess the anagram). :-))

5. nmsindy says:

I did remember STINKS as the teacher (as well as the subject), though that’s going back. Of my dicts, only Chambers has it now, not in Concise OED nor Collins, so maybe it’s heading for the “dated” category.

6. JPM says:

19d dog = Petra from Blue Peter

7. nmsindy says:

Thanks, Eimi, for the explanation of D = drag. I knew that, if Dac used it, it would be justified – have to get a Collins for my workplace to go with Concise OED and Chambers for lunch-time solving! It just had to be DONEGAL. Why I found this puzzle difficult was because some of the long answers were completely new to me – it was pleasing to work CHELSEA TRACTOR out entirely from the wordplay – pardon my ignorance re this relatively new phrase.

8. Colin Blackburn says:

Re: 19d. The answer is PETREL not petral.

Despite Petra’s legendary status, she died after the first ever airing of Blue Peter and was replaced by a look-alike for the second, I doubt even Dac would use, “Dog, perhaps” and expect us to get to Petra.