Posted by Pete Maclean on July 26th, 2007
Another elegant puzzle from Cincinnus that I found a bit more difficult than most of his.
1. TERMINALLY – TALLY about ERMIN[e]
7. SURE – S[nake] + URE, the Ure being a river in Yorkshire
9. SPUD – S + PUD, Murphy’s being a kind of potato
10. DAVENPORT – anagram of PAST VENDOR
11. ORANGE – O[utside] + RANGE
12. RIESLING – [f]RIES + LING
13. COSTELLO – COS + TELL + O
15. G MEN – GEN about M
17. PEAK – homophone
19. LIGHTERS – double definition. Spills may not be well known today. They are very thin strips of wood used like tapers, to light things. I remember my father using spills to light his cigarettes from the fire in our hearth when I was a young lad.
22. REDSTART – D in RESTART
23. INHUME – IN + HUME. I guessed this easily even though I do not recall seeing the word before. I figured if there is an “exhume” then there must be an “inhume”.
25. ATMOSPHERE – anagram of MOPER HATES
26. DROP – DR + OP
27. TALK – hidden word
28. LOTUS EATER – anagram of US TOLERATE
2. ESPARTO – anagram of PEARS + TO
3. MID ON – NOD + IM reversed
4. NED KELLY – D[u]KE in NELLY. I found this a tough one!
5. LIVERPOOL STREET – anagram of LOVELIEST PORTER. An easy clue for those who are familiar with London stations; perhaps a hard one for those who are not. But another lovely anagram.
6. YONDER – anagram of RODNEY
7. SPOTLIGHT – (I am not sure that I fully understand this one)
8. RETINUE – E + UNITER reversed
14. TAKE STOCK – double definition, one slightly cryptic
16. UGLINESS – anagram of SINGLE US
18. ELECTRA – ELECT + RA
20. RUMPOLE – RUM + POLE
21. CARPEL – CARP + E[qua]L
24. HYDRA – hidden word