Independent 6497/Morph

Posted by neildubya on August 13th, 2007

neildubya.
9 (+M)OBS,TER(-M) – an “obsolete expression” would be an OBS TERM. Move the back (M) to the front to get MOBSTER.
10 TO(Y for P)SHOP – I initally thought the fashion retailer might be GA(P).
11 SNUFF,EDIT – excellent clue with a misleading surface leading you up a cocaine-related garden path.
12 BB in SE< – the Home Counties are all in the South East (SE).
14 (DONT)*,O – NOD TO.
15 (CREPT IN SO)* – INSPECTOR. Was slightly surprised when this turned out to be the answer as I’ve never usually thought of these two words as (near) synonyms.
18 ERR in OVULE,D – I thought of OVERRULED almost straight away but didn’t think about it hard enough and decided it couldn’t be right.
22 A,WED – seeing A?E? left in the grid can sometimes send a shiver down the spine – so many words to choose from…
23 ARC WELDER – not sure if this is right or not but if it is then it must be an ark/arc homophone-type pun thing.
27 (GRASS NO MINE KEPT)* – ON SPEAKING TERMS. I’ve always thought that one of the most deceptive tricks in the setter’s locker is to take a natural sounding phrase – “Not cutting grass” – and have one part of it as the definition and the other as part of the wordplay. This clue is a great example of that.

1 (SOME TONIC)* – COMES INTO
3/13 OUT-OF-COURT SETTLEMENT
4 FI(R for L)ED,RILL
5 OCTET – stared at O?T?T for a while thinking that there couldn’t be a word to fit that. Eventually twigged that the band is OCTET, “outrageous” is OTT and “church” is CE and that “alternating” means you do exactly what it says on the tin.
8 TAPAS – move the TA (“thanks”) of PASTA to the front.
17 RING ROADS – the surface reading misleads but the first thing I thought of when I saw “arteries” was roads. I very nearly filled in ROAD SIGNS, which would be ok for the second bit of the clue but not the first.
21 (STROL[-l]ED)* – OLDSTER. Great word.
22 A,G,GRO(up)
23 hidden reversed in “blacK CAB Abroad” – I had A?A?K filled in so ABACK suggested itself almost immediately but I’ve only just spotted the hidden bit.
24 M,ACE.

5 Responses to “Independent 6497/Morph”

1. nmsindy says:

I found this very challenging, and satisfying to finish, with some inventive approaches. ARC WELDER was the last I got – I think it’s correct all right – a kind of tool and Noah’s Ark. That corner held me up too – I’d also pencilled in ROAD SIGNS first. I do not however see how the wordplay works for 1 across (CARBON FOOTPRINT)

2. neildubya says:

1A – you’d have carbon on your feet if you walked through hot coals (which is what fire-walking is). And your CARBON FOOTPRINT is a measure of how green you are (or how green a product or service is).

3. nmsindy says:

Yes, that explains it, tks, fire-walking is new to me but dicts confirm.

4. jetdoc says:

Did this one on the way to the Oval, finishing it between overs.

I initially wanted 1ac to be TENDER-FOOTEDNESS or something similar (‘green’ in the sense of ‘inexperienced’) and I’m glad I started writing it in pencil.

AWED was the one that took me longest, despite having both checked letters; I’m still not 100% sure about ‘match’ for ‘wed’.

Great clue for ON SPEAKING TERMS.

5. conradcork says:

Fire walking is less impressive than it seems. The ‘trick’ is exposed in the new Brookmyre novel ‘Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks’.