Independent 6511 by Dac – very tough

Posted by nmsindy on August 29th, 2007

nmsindy.

Another excellent puzzle from Dac, with all stacking up in the end, some cleverly concealed definitions – very tough, esp SE corner, though this blogger’s cinematic ignorance contributed to that.

Solving time: 43 mins

* = anagram    < = reversed

ACROSS

5  W EASEL

10 CUSTOM    Pleasing double definition – this type of clue was more common in years gone by, I think.

14 DIS(c) ENGAGEMENT

20 IFS    Irish Free State (1922-1938)

21 FOUR-POSTERS        Excellent

24 FLANERIE   (free in LA)*    Anyone else looking first for (LA resort)*?

26 MAIL SHOT   “male”

DOWN

2 Hastings BAND A

3 BOA (stole!)   TIES

4 O (VERGE) NERO  US    The old is separate from the ruler, I think.

6 EMU LATE    Excellent misdirection.

8 LAMB (t)ASTE(d)      Misleading join at “Roast/meat”

11 BRIAN DE PALMA   p in (an admirable)* – took me ages to spot the anagram, not to mind solve it.   Those who know more about films than me might be able to say if the literal clue wording is also appropriate.

14 DROP SCENE   “seen”  by audience.

17 S (OFT) TOP

18 AR (S) ENA L     The most devious of all – I spent ages trying to fit ample in.   L = large as in clothes sizes.     Definition is “team”

22 E (ART) H    Art in he<       Really tricky – definition is “underground home”

8 Responses to “Independent 6511 by Dac – very tough”

1. neildubya says:

Definitely trickier than usual for Dac but some really good stuff here: 3D, 8D and 11D in particular.

2. stevenhall says:

Very satisfying. It took me a while to work out why 15D had to be ESTIMATE, since I was connecting ‘house’ and ‘estate’, whereas it’s E (=’end of house’) + ST(IM)ATE.

3. Colin Blackburn says:

I had no problem with the SE corner other than FLANERIE — I spotted the anagram but had never heard of the word. I’d not heard of DROP SCENE either despite having -O-P SCENE in the grid.

I have, however, failed in the NW corner with 1dn and 9ac uncompleted. Someone will now tell me how easy those two are!

4. nmsindy says:

BE MUSE

5. nmsindy says:

and MAN DATED

6. Joins says:

9ac. I could see the answer was MANDATED but couldn’t understand the ‘goes ahead’ part (don’t have the puzzle to hand). Please explain?

7. nmsindy says:

Not got the puzzle now, but, if I remember, the “goes ahead” was telling the solver to put MAN before DATED which was defined, from memory as “old”

8. Joins says:

Yes, it seems obvious now. Thanks.