Guardian 24,173/Pasquale – Tuesday toughie

Posted by loonapick on September 4th, 2007

loonapick.

(Apologies for the late post – solved the puzzle earlier today, and forgot to write the blog!!)

This was a toughie, especially after the usual Rufus romp yesterday.  Some very unusual words and difficult wordplay.   There are a couple of examples below where I can’t quite explain the wordplay.

Took me a good half an hour to solve, possibly more – I wasn’t counting and it was several hours ago.

ACROSS

1 V(1)-SAGE

9 M-ALLEE – a small eucalyptus tree

10 ANNE-(L)-IDA – segmented worms

11 RECOMBINANT DNA – reverse cryptic – “and” is an anagram of DNA, and recombinant would be the anagrind

13 SP-ILL-I(KIN)S – another name for jackstraws – SP (sine prole) is appearing a lot in crosswords just now

14 S-PIT

16 OR(i)B(i)S – ORIBIS are small African antelopes

18 F-RATERNIS-(desir)E – where RATERNIS = (restrain)*

21 GAVE UP THE GHOST – as in, sacked the ghost writer

23 A-R.R.-ANGER

25 SEA-L-ANTS

26 O-STEAL

DOWN

2 SA(LIE)RI – Antonio Salieri, the “baddie” in the play and movie, “Amadeus”

3 GRENOBLE – not altogether sure of the wordplay, something to do with GREY and NOBLE?

5 NO(<=TEN ANON)TE – NO NO NANETTE is a musical comedy, first produced in 1925, filmed as “Tea for Two” in 1950

6 EXE-‘UNT – stage instruction meaning “they exit”

8 GUARAN(i)-TEE – the guarani is the unit of currency in Paraguay

12 BAKER STREET – again haven’t had time to work out the wordplay

13 SHOTG-LASS – SHOTG = (ghost)*

15 ARCH-IVES – Charles Ives (1874-1954), more famous in Crosswordland than in the real world?

17 BA-VARIA(tions)

20 QUANT-A

22 WELL(ie)

7 Responses to “Guardian 24,173/Pasquale – Tuesday toughie”

1. Stan says:

12d Baker’s Dozen and the London 13 bus goes down Baker Street (I’m a Northerner : had to look it up)

Had the same vague idea about 3d – unknown is the “Y” missing from GREY, but couldn’t quite make the wordplay happen

2. Fletch says:

Unknown to be impressive is an instruction to substitute one for t’other.

3. Stan says:

Nice one Fletch – I’ll have to look out for that construction.

Also, I got S-POT for 14a, am I definitely wrong ?

4. beermagnet says:

Stan, I reckon that 14A is SPIT.
    “Hole” = Pit; (produced by) “spades” = S; and a SPIT is the depth of ground dug, effectively the length of the spade’s head, thus “amount of soil shifted”.

I thought 12D was also a nice homophone “Baker’s treat” for “An extra No 13 heard?”.

5. Stan says:

Yeah – I got hung-up on the wrong sort of “soil”

6. Paul B says:

“Some very unusual words and difficult wordplay” – almost word for word, Pasquale’s comment about someone’s recent Bank Holiday puzzle.

(Just thought I’d get that one in.)

7. Al Streatfield says:

The Guardian doesn’t seem to understand that daily puzzles are, more often than not, solved on the train, bus, in the pub etc. where solvers don’t have access to reference books.

The obvious solution to satisfying compilers’ and solvers’ fascination with the arcane, unknown and difficult would be to introduce, as the other “heavies” (for want of a better word) have, a barred weekend puzzle…

Al