Independent 6525 by Phi

Posted by nmsindy on September 14th, 2007

nmsindy.

I found this fairly straightforward. Solving time: 15 mins.

(LATER: there is a Nina here that I missed though I did look, but another has pointed it out.   I refer to it after the clue explanations.)

* = anagram

ACROSS

1 LECTIONARY (not clear I)* y = last of early A book of church lessons for each day.

6 JAVA First letters, indicated by “initially”

10 GA(E)L DO M Do = party M = male

11 S (TERN) UM

12 CO (PART) NE R

13 VAL(V)E depression = valley = vale

14 F (RAN) C ‘No longer’ as franc has been replaced as French currency by the euro.

15 EDELWEISS (lies weeds)*

21 GAFFE(r)

25 TRANC (H) E

26 Bertie WOOS TER(m)

27 (b)RAKE Reasonably obscure form of transport

28 S(T)AN DER (S) – BY San = Sanitorium = hospital

DOWN

2 C HEAP JACK

7 ANNU (a) L annual is last word in last clue (24 down)

9 LEAVE WELL ALONE Liked that – cryptic definition of phrase.

19 TH (ROW) – IN Wondered about ‘pause’ as a definition – I imagined the physio coming on, then light dawned.

22 FL (abbrev) ASK

24 (y)EARLY unknowns from equations can be x, y or z

Theme:  look in row 6, cf 26 across!

5 Responses to “Independent 6525 by Phi”

1. neildubya says:

Good as always from Phi. Have to quibble with the definition for 6A though: “website tool”. JAVA is a development/programming language; you might be able to make website tools with it (amongst many other things – applications for mobile phones perhaps) but surely that doesn’t make it the same thing?

2. Wil Ransome says:

I agree, excellent as always. There are a few setters (in particular Virgilius, Dac, Phi) whose clues are consistently sound but simple in construction and pithy with good surfaces.

10A (VALVE) was particularly good, I thought.

3. Wil Ransome says:

Unknowns

Another thing I meant to say. In the post for 24D, nmsindy says “unknowns from equations can be x, y or z”. Or any letter, really, although these are the most usual. I never like it when z is called an unknown, as if it’s of the same type as x or y. It’s used (almost exclusively?) for complex numbers, which are hardly mainstream.

4. petebiddlecombe says:

Wil on unknowns: The Concise Oxford has x/y/z defined as the first/second/third unknowns in an algebraic expression. I think this is the reason for the ‘X, Y or Z’ convention. We’re probably talking old-fashioned algebra here – there are examples fitting the bill in my copy of Hall & Knight’s Elementary Algebra (revised 1907) which I’m pretty sure was the standard text in its day – see this poem.

5. nmsindy says:

Yes, what Peter says is the same as my experience both with algebra (in days gone by) and doing puzzles over the years. y was used in the Phi puzzle. My view of complex numbers is, like Wil, that they are “hardly mainstream” and I’ve not seen them referred to in puzzles that I can recall.