Financial Times 12,558 by Cincinnus

Posted by Pete Maclean on September 20th, 2007

Pete Maclean.

For the second week in a row, I completed the FT Weekend puzzle very quickly. In this week’s case, it helped that all the words are common — or at least ones I know well. In spite of this, there are two clues that I do not completely understand the workings of (25A and 1D).

1. BRISTOL – BR (British) + I (one) + LOTS (many) reversed (going west)
5. ETHANE – METHANE with M (metre) removed
8. TIDEMARKS – anagram of DIRT MAKES
9. RASPS – double definition. I suspect a purist tool user might insist that rasp and file, while similar, are very much not the same. I think they are close enough for crossword usage.
11. LEARN – LEAR (King) + [joh]N
12. OUTRIGGER – OU (Oxford University) + TRIGGER (starter)
13. CLAYMORE – CLAY (Cassius as in Muhammad Ali) + anagram of ROME. This was the most difficult clue for me. I did not think of Cassius Clay for a while — and I have met the man.
15. BANYAN – A (a) + NY (Big Apple) in BAN (outlaw)
17. UPROAR – U (university) + PRO (for) + A (a) + R (paperback)
19. COLESLAW – COLES (Porter’s) + LAW (regulation). Lovely!
22. SOAPSTONE – anagram of TEASPOONS
23. KENYA – ENYA (singer) after K (weekend)
24. RAISE – homophone (RAYS)
25. BUTTERCUP – UTTER (wild?) in BC (former times) + UP (raised). What am I missing here?
26. MERLOT – ME (setter) + R (right) + LOT (bunch). Mmm, one of my faves. (Wines, I mean, not clues.)
27. RELATED – reverse homophone (A KIN)

1. BATTLE CRUISER – spoonerism of CATTLE BRUISER (boxer). I do not see how “neat” fits with CATTLE — if it indeed does. Come to think of it, why not cowpuncher instead of neat boxer?
2. INDIANA – INDIAN (Asian) + A (one)
3. TIMON – IM (I’m) in TON (fashion)
4. LARBOARD – BOAR (pig) in LARD (fat). Another simple beauty.
5. ERSATZ – hidden word
6. HERMITAGE – anagram (dreadful) of HEAT and GRIME
7. NOSEGAY – EG (for example) + A (a) in NOSY (inquisitive)
10. SHRINK-WRAPPED – SHRINK (psychiatrist) + WRAPPED (homophone of RAPT)
14. MEANS WELL – MEAN (penny-pinching) + SWELL (capital)
16. POLE STAR – anagram (may be) of TOP LASER
18. REALISE – anagram (are false) of LIES ARE
20. LINOCUT – L (pound) + I (1) + NO (no) CUT (reduction)
21. COMBAT – COMB (hairdresser) + AT (attending)
23. KNELL – homophone of NELL (little girl)

8 Responses to “Financial Times 12,558 by Cincinnus”

1. Testy says:

I didn’t do this and don’t have the clues but in 1D NEAT, as a noun, means a cow or ox.

2. kewlchap says:

Pete, why is fashion = TON in 3D? I got the same answer but this was the last one I cracked.

3. Pete Maclean says:

Testy, thanks. I have never come across that usage.

Kewlchap, I am not sure that I can give a perfectly adequate explanation (which is why I didn’t in my original post) but I figure it must have something to do with the French word “ton”. Now “ton” means tone more than fashion, while “mode” is the usual French word for fashion, but the meanings are very similar especially when you consider that the English word tony can mean fashionable. Then one may ask why is there no mention of a French connection in the clue. The best explanation I can come up with is our expression “bon ton” which comes directly from the French and means “with sophisticated style”.

4. Bradman says:

ANY feedback on the Friday Bradman would be more than welcome. I never get any because I don’t personally know anyone who solves my FT puzzles. My imaginary solver is more imaginary than most!

5. kewlchap says:

Pete, thanks for that detailed explanation. I was a bit lost on this one.

Bradman, would love to leave feedback if someone blogs the solutions.

6. Pete Maclean says:

Bradman, I rarely pick up the FT except for the weekend edition but I will see what I can do.

7. Wil Ransome says:

25A: This is B(UTTER)C + UP. Say = utter.

8. Pete Maclean says:

D’oh! I got caught up in thinking “growing wild” must be part of the wordplay but it’s part of the definition.