Guardian 24,188, Brummie: Straight as Kate

Posted by michod on September 21st, 2007

michod.

A decent Friday puzzle with some tough nuts to crack. One name I’d never come across before, and required Google’s help, some humorous touches, and a little linked mini-theme including two phrases, one of which I’m not utterly convinced by.

ACROSS:

1. S(CULL I)ON.

10. DU(N)G. Ya dig the clue, man?

11. STRAIGHT A’S. Double definition, but links with 24ac for 15, 22.

12. WA(ll street)BASH. I don’t know the song, but this sounded more likely than WAMASH.

14. UNBEATEN. Quite hard till I saw the def had to be ‘Scrambled eggs will not be’.

15, 22. UTTER L(ovel)Y HO NEST. Straight as Adie, with space = straight as a die. Nic etransformation of those two clues, but was it necessary to indicate the space? There’s no mention of the ‘A’ in Adie becoming lower case, or  ‘straight A’s’ becoming ‘straight as’. And I don’t think ‘utterly honest’ is a recognised phrase. I’d be happier with it used as a definition for ‘straight as a die’, not vice versa.

17. A NTH R AX. N here is nth, not just N.

20. PAN D EMIC (MICE*).

23. ADSORPTION (ON SPORT AID*). Not wuite sure what the surface is hinting at – celeb sports pundits generating hot air?

24. (l)ADIE(s). Nice wordplay, ref the BBC’s Kate Adie. ‘One-time’ seems a little harsh, I believe she still does some broadcasting now and then.

26. SASH AYE D.

DOWN:

1. OC(CUP)ANT (ACTON*).

4. S(NAR)LUP. PLUS* around RAN<.

5. S(C)RIA BIN. AIRS*. I was torn between this and the equally improbable SCAIRBIN.

6. DISHWASHER. CD, ref supposed practise of making you wash the dishes if you can’t pay for your meal. It always happened in the Beano, but has anyone done it in real life?

7. O PI(r)ATE. ‘At’ seems redundant – a minor quibble.

16. LAMPPOST. ‘Going’ as in peeing, setter unusually meaning the dog (unless Brummie’s referrring to his own habits when caught short after a night on the ale).

24, 21. ADAM AND EVE. Cockney rhyming slang, as in ‘Wouldya Adam n Eve it!”

5 Responses to “Guardian 24,188, Brummie: Straight as Kate”

1. conradcork says:

No way is Kate Adie a one-time broadcaster. Year year out she presents the 30 minute ‘From Our Own Correspondent’ on Radio 4, tiwce a week. (Thursdays and Saturdays).

2. conradcork says:

7 down. ‘At’ can mean ‘next to’ quite fairly I think. Made for an enjoyable surface at any rate.

3. conradcork says:

23 A. Adsorption is literally the collection, on the surface of a solid, of gas molecules, so the clue gives an exact definition – with, perhaps, the merest hint of a sneer at the pundits for good luck.

4. radchenko says:

On the banks of the Wabash, far away, so Google tells me, is the official song of the state of Indiana. Somehow I’m just not surprised I did not get that, and lacking the H, nor 3dn (KITSCH).

Beaten too by DISHWASHER, kept on thinking of patron as owner not customer. In principle nice CD but I’m inclined to think something like “Domestic machine role for diner without means?” is pithier without giving it away too quickly.

I agree that “utterly honest” is not in the same category as “flog a dead horse”, although I suppose it is said, e.g. in “if I was being utterly honest”, but more usual would be “completely honest” or “in all honesty”.

However the “straight as a die” made up of “straight A’s” and [kate] “Adie” was very clever, but I agree that “with space” was not necessary. Anyway is it “straight A’s” or “straight As”? Otherwise I’ll moan that it should have said “with space, without apostrophe, all lower case”…

5. conradcork says:

The song ‘Back Home Again in Indiana’ quotes the state song ‘I dream about the moonlight on the Wabash’ in bars 25 thru 28.