Independent 6542 by Nimrod

Posted by nmsindy on October 4th, 2007

nmsindy.

Built around a 41-letter anagram. Solving time: 52 mins.

* = anagram < = reversed

ACROSS

9 HISTORIAN (to an Irish)*

11/13/16 CANT GET AWAY TO MARRY YOU TODAY MY WIFE WONT LET ME left at the church song. * (first 41 letters of clue)

22 WINNING ON POINTS I think

DOWN

1 O (VISA) C

2 A T (TORN) EY Yet<

5 Saul BELLOW

6 ANTONY MY Antony and C

8 HA-HA A ditch

13 M OWN D OWN MD = managing director

14 RAF FLING

16 D (UTCH H) OE

21 HIGH NOON cf nigh Hoon

6 Responses to “Independent 6542 by Nimrod”

1. tilsit says:

Thanks Niall for covering the blog.

I struggled with the big anagram for a while until I remembered a previous Indy Mag puzzle by a certain Tilsit which wason the same theme!

2. fgbp says:

Nimrod at his exquisite best. I do believe he IS going to come up with that solitary 105-letter anagram across clue yet!

3. Colin Blackburn says:

22 is WINNING ON POINTS. It alludes cryptically to how each of the sports is one, points of swords and points of the compass make sense. The cross-country one I’m less sure about though as a sport is in points that count but not in any cryptic sense.

As an orienteer I’d question the orienteering allusion since many top orienteers rarely look at their compasses!

Colin – a poor orienteer who looks all to often but rarely wins.

4. Testy says:

I didn’t do this but wonder if the cross-country reference might be to point-to-point racing.

5. Patrick says:

6d threw me, the answer should be antonyms, I have searched word finders and cannot find ‘antonymy’ anywhere.
    Patrick.

6. neildubya says:

Patrick: ANTONYMY is right and it’s in Chambers (under antonym). You can also find it in the Chambers Word Wizards here: