Independent 6545/Morph

Posted by neildubya on October 8th, 2007

neildubya.
1/4 EXTRAORDINARY RENDITION – “assembled” led me down an anagram-related garden path for a while, until I realised the clue was a sort of cryptic definition, with a surface reading designed to make you think of theatrical productions.
9 HICK in TEN – “six and four” might have been VI and IV but that’s an unlikely combination for a 7 letter word.
10 R,R in (AID)*,OP – the cryptic reading is a little vague here as it doesn’t say how many “rights” and where they’re supposed to go but I don’t think it’s vague enough to make the clue unfair. I liked the definition: “could be a task for Hercules”, a reference to the military transport aircraft.
11 EVITA,R,RAN (going backwards)
15 I’M,IV in PULSE – I liked the surface reading for this one, although I don’t know how medically accurate it is!
19 K in TOY,O – “nothing more” to indicate adding an O can’t really be justified and yet, I understood immediately what the compiler meant (this might be because I’ve seen it used before although I can’t be sure of that) so I guess that is some sort of measure of fairness.
23 LEFT OFF – you turn “seal” into “sea” by dropping the L. I originally filled in LEFT OUT, which seems to be an equally valid answer.
24 [h]ALF[h]ALF,A – because two ‘alves make an ‘ole.
25 CLIMATE CHANGE – literally,(MALI ETC)*. A really good clue I thought, although the definition makes it very easy.

1 EXTENDED FAMILY – don’t really get this one. The full clue is “Cousins, say, made kind of kin?”. I can see that “Cousins, say” could be the definition but I’m not sure what the rest of the clue is doing.
6 (LOOS ARE)*
7 (SICK TARDY)* – nice clue but with YARDSTICK does leap out at you.
8 UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE – “small trattoria” could be TRAT, which is TART upside down. I think that’s the right reading as I can’t see any other…
14 (COAL FIR[-e])*,IC[-y]
16 PAY HOM[-ep]AGE – not really sure why “homepage” should be a “special website”. Isn’t it just the main page of a website?
18 MAIS OUI – sounds like “may we”.
19 TWELFTH – don’t understand all of this. The full clue is “This man’s substitute – there may be shots at game today!”. I guess the definition is “This man’s substitute” but not sure about the rest.
21 (OF A IS)*

10 Responses to “Independent 6545/Morph”

1. conradcork says:

I think it is fair to call a homepage a special website. Everyone has just one homepage, namely the one that the browser opens up with. And its importance is further suggested by the number of websites which invite you to ‘click here to make this your homepage’.

2. conradcork says:

Re 1 down. If ‘kin’ is family, then you could argue that ‘kind’ being one letter longer, is ‘extended family’.

3. Big Joe says:

Re 19 DOWN – TWELTFH – The “shots at game today” refers to the Glorious 12th – the day in August every year that is the start of the grouse shooting season.

4. neildubya says:

Conrad – yes, you’re quite right about homepage. I’d completely forgotten that sense of the word. Thanks for 1D too.

Joe – thanks also.

5. Wil Ransome says:

I thought this was rather difficult. 1A/4D is still pretty incomprehensible. Presumably 17A is FULL MONTY, though what that has to do with meat and two veg I can’t see.

Three clues that are all of a similar type I think, where the wordplay is a bit tricksy (23A, 1D, 8D). I like these.

6. Testy says:

Wil I presume that the Full Monty is a reference to the the film of that name in which the male strippers did the “Full Monty” i.e. went all the way and showed their “meat and two veg”. I think that since the film the term the “Full Monty” has developed from meaning “going the whole hog” to “stripping off”.

7. Nealh says:

Can someone explain the “melon” answer to me. I worked out that it was the answer because it’s a fruit and it fitted, but have no idea what the rest was referring to.

8. neildubya says:

Do you have the whole clue to hand? I remember it was something to do with MEL=honey but that’s all.

9. Nealh says:

No, I haven’t got it with me at the moment. However, MEL=honey is probably the key piece of information that I’m missing. I’ve never heard of it before.

10. John says:

I nearly asked the same question myself about MELON (Fruit with pure honey topping), but decided, rather doubtfully, that mel is probably pure honey. If mel is on then it is topping. I think …