Posted by ilancaron on October 11th, 2007
Not for the first time a couple of clues for which I don’t understand the wordplay: e.g 26A, 4A, and a few others in which I can imagine what the answer must be. And an original clue for the familiar cryptic phrase MIDDLE OF THE ROAD in 24A.
1. GAD,GET – GAD is one of the twelve tribes of Israel.
4. DIVES,T – must be right given the definition “strip”: are DIVES where you look for strippers? with T as our model?
9. DANCE OF THE HOURS – cryptic def, ref: opera of same name
10. NAP=rev(pan),OLI=oil* – must be a wreck called NAPOLI? OK, just saw in wikipedia that this is v. recent news (“deliberately broken up after she ran into difficulty in the Channel on 18 Jan 2007”)
12. TART,RATE – it’s a salt – but I don’t see how TART is baggage?
15. BEAUNE=”bone” – as in bone dry. It’s a kind of Burgundy.
21. BARN([dick]Y)ARD – ref. Dr. Christian BARNARD who performed the first heart transplant in 1967.
24. MIDDLE OF THE ROAD – fresh clue for a familiar answer. To be honest though, not sure why C of E is controversial at the moment but I suspect there’s something Brit topical that’s relevant here?
26. BENETS=”Bennets” – ref. Austen’s family in “Pride and Prejudice” — not sure to what the exorcists refers though??
2. DECK,O – another guess… is DECKO slang for “look”, say, down under??.
3. EROTICA – (creatio[n])*
6. ELOPEMENT – two meanings I think: the first “bolt” makes sense… is there an ELOPEMENT in metalwork?
8. S(TRIP)E – Kent is in SE England and you get another stripe in the army after promotion.
13. TOUR(NEDO)S – done* in TOURS. It’s a kind of steak I guess.
16. EVAS=rev(save),I’VE – first of several setter clues, this one self-referential. Rather cynical def of politicians I’d say.
17. ETAG=rev(gate),ERE – a crossword word meaning furniture” stand”.
18. M(ODIF=rev(fido))Y – another self-referential setter clue: maybe Gordius’s dog really is Fido. Since setter is also a kind of dog, a rather nice clue.
19. ARACHNE – (can hear)*. oh, another setter clue. This time referring to his colleague, ARACHNE, on the Guardian team.
20. MAENADS – (sane, mad)*. Mythical maids.
23. SERGE – it’s Koussevitzky’s, the conductor, first name.