Independent 6548 by Mordred

Posted by nmsindy on October 11th, 2007

nmsindy.

An excellent puzzle from one the Indy’s occasional setters, with a background in the world of advanced puzzles. A mixture of very easy and very hard clues, I found. Excellently crafted with some cunning seamless divisions between definition and wordplay. As with some recent Mordred Indys there’s a theme (or, at least an element of dedication). In case readers want to look themselves first, I will give this info after the clue explanations.

Solving time: 27 mins

* = anagram < = reversed

ACROSS

11 CLEAR (net) AC (N – Henman’s ultimate ie last) E

12 DAIRYMAID R (right) for L (Liberal) in daily maid

13 Starsky and HUTCH cf Lord Sutch h = hard for s = is = ‘s eg the clue’s understood

15 ETH(n)ICAL Yes, there is a word ‘ethnical’ meaning the same as ethnic

18 SHE BANG “Girl on girl affair?” Hmmm!

25 IR ISH STEW s and s in (white)* Very strange one, this – when I saw the enumeration I thought of Irish stew but said it could not be with ‘from Ireland’ in the clue, but it is! There’s a &lit element too of course.

26 IN CUR (RUC NI)< Replaced in recent times by the PSNI (Police Service of Northern Ireland)

27 LATENT cf talent.

DOWN

2 FORT ITUDE Maybe keep = fort (dutie)*

3 EVERY NOW AND THEN h (hard) in (even a down entry)*. Great clue, with excellent surface.

4 CO (CK AD) E Calvin Klein Seb Coe

6 EARTHSHATTERING (heart)*

7 IN N IT The last I solved. Tag = common expression it = the guy who chases others in children’s game. Think that’s it anyway.

9 MED (pad)DLE The best of the many seamless joins in/sea

16 CRUST ACEA retracted means, I think, take away the odd letters of hAd ChElAe

21 CYPRUS All based on first or last letters with three separate indications. Definition is island and it also has an &lit touch.

23 EXI (S) T Another one using an initial letter.

Dedication: Look at central row and column – two boy’s names of six letters.

6 Responses to “Independent 6548 by Mordred”

1. tilsit says:

Agree with Nmsindy – a thoroughly enjoyable puzzle with some nice topical touches.

2. neildubya says:

Nice puzzle. 18A is a bit saucy and I didn’t really get 7D so thanks for explaining that. Was also surprised by IRISH STEW. For 12A, I went for DAILYMAID (“Farm worker right for Liberal domestic servant”), which surely is just as valid as DAIRYMAID, depending on how you read the clue. Or am I missing something super-subtle? To me, it makes more sense for the substitution instruction (“right for Liberal”) to come after the word in which you are doing the substituting.

3. nmsindy says:

DAIRYMAID yes, the substitution works either way, but dailymaid ain’t a word.

4. neildubya says:

Ah. Good point. I assumed that “domestic servant” was DAILYMAID but, as you say in your blog, it’s “daily maid”.

5. Derrick Knight says:

7D definition was a bit cheeky – in fact the ? is part of the definition. INNIT is a tag? innit?

6. nmsindy says:

More on DAIRYMAID. Looking at it again, I think the substitution works only one way. “right for Liberal” can only mean R for L, not the other way round.