FT 12591/Cinephile – Wed 17.10.07

Posted by John on October 17th, 2007

John.

Solving time : About three-quarters of an hour, but meaningless anyway since I got 12A wrong, as I discovered later when trying to justify LIRE. The theme is Evelyn Waugh’s magnificent novel Scoop. There are references to it in 16A, 24A, 30A, 6D and 26D, also perhaps some others I’ve missed.

4 AU GUST US
10 RATTLER I think, though I’m rather doubtful. Something to do with (p)rattler?
11,28 COTTAGE PIE. (PEACE GOT IT)*, although I can’t see that the ‘for’ is doing anything but help the surface and clog the wordplay.
12 L OR D: pounds or (old) pence
13 BAN GLADE SH(OP). Nice clue, even if simple.
17 BIGOTED, being I GOT into BED. This took me the longest; the fact that this answer (like three others) has the fault that more then half its letters are unchecked is no excuse. The definition, though, possibly is. If people are bigoted, why are they on my side particularly, rather than yours?
20 ANTI QUE(EN). Not sure about “sovereign beginning” to give three out of five letters of ‘queen’.
21 Hidden. Quite nicely.
24 C LEFT STICK
25 KW A1, ref. film “Bridge over the River Kwai”
30 THEB(A)ES T. OK “Beauty and the Beast”, but is “to go with beauty” really adequate?
31 ETC HER
1 SURPL(US) ICE. Good clue.
2 PETER SPENCE, but “to go to the Vatican” doesn’t really seem good enough as a definition of a tax that is paid to the Vatican
3 NILE. Flow-er; Blue Nile/White Nile.
5 UN CO GUID(E). Had never heard of this.
6 UP TO A P(O)INT. This had to be in there somewhere, and Cinephile clues it nicely.
7, 9 TE((S)ABRE)AK
8 SEE T HE. Model T Ford.
14 “Evil in war”
15 RESISTANCE. The maquis were guerilla fighters in the French Resistance.
19 BE WILDER, as opposed to so tame.
26 BOOT, which in one meaning is an advantage. The use isn’t common, but “to boot” is.

5 Responses to “FT 12591/Cinephile – Wed 17.10.07”

1. Testy says:

I struggled with this and eventually gave up on most of it before consulting the blog so thanks for filling in all the blanks.

I’ve never read the novel so the references were lost on me but thankfully knowledge of it was not required or I would have fared even worse.

I think 10A is a triple definition (kind of). A snake, something which rattles (i.e. is full of pellets) and someone that rattles on (i.e. chatters).

11,28 I think the “for” could be justified if you think of it as a sort of reverse clue. COTTAGE PIE could be anagrammed to give you PEACE GOT IT, hence “Dish prepared for peace? Got it!”. The “for” here didn’t exercise me nearly as much as the “of” in 1D as I can see no way that it can be justified in the cryptic reading without it indicating ICY rather than ICE.

12A Is L an old coin? Was there a pound coin under the LSD system?

17A I think the “unquestionably on my side” refers to bigots being deeply entreched in their own personal opinions and refusing to consider other people’s views (i.e. it is the bigot talking).

30A I quite liked “to go with beauty”.

I’m with you on the rest though.

2. John says:

In 1D I read “excess of frozen stuff” as “surplus ice”. No, pound coins were introduced later than decimal currency, so Testy noticed something that escaped me: certainly there seems something wrong with saying (12A) “Alternative old coins …”.

3. kewlchap says:

Anyone know why 1A is “Supine”? How does the piece of latin grammar clue this?

4. Testy says:

John, Re 1D, I get it now. Thanks.

Kewlchap, The clue was a double definition. One definition of SUPINE is “(in Latin) a noun form derived from verbs, appearing only in the accusative and the dative-ablative”

5. kewlchap says: