Independent 6555/Phi

Posted by Colin Blackburn on October 19th, 2007

Colin Blackburn.

I rattled through this puzzle but fell at the final hurdle, well as 24ac and 17dn.

5 PAYSLIP — PAYS + LIP — pays is French for country.
9 DOUBLE-BARRELLED — DOUBLE + BARRELLED — double = spit(ting image)
11 NYLON — shiNY LONg — simple hidden clue but a nice augmented definition.
16 RENEWER — RE+N+EWE+R — a renewer is one renewing their library books.
18 GESTATING — STATIN in EGG* — statins are drugs that regulate cholesterol. Apparently we’ll all be taking them routinely in years to come, if we want plenty of years to come.
19 XEROX — REX< + OX
21 TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT — TAKE I.T. + I in ELEVATOR* — take IT = study computing
24 HARDISH — ? — I think this is HAR + DISH but “Most of uncommon…” suggests RAR(e) to me. What am I missing?

2 AIDE — A(s)IDE — a nice clue suggesting a scene from the West Wing.
3 UNGROOMED — double def. — excellent cryptic second definition in Jilted?
6 SUBCOMMITTEES — SUB+COMMIT+TEES
8 WELL-PRESERVED — WELL+P+RESERVED
10 AXEL — AXE+L — an Axel is a skating move named after a Mr Axel.
13 TESTATRIX — T in (SEX TRAIT)* — this is an excellent clue. A testatrix is a female testator, ie someone who makes a will.
17 ONER — ? — a oner is an expert but I’m lost with the word play in “Expert’s limited education (4)”.
20 OTIOSE — magazinE SO IT Obviously — turned up indicating the reverse in this hidden clue.
22 EGAD — AGE< in AGED

7 Responses to “Independent 6555/Phi”

1. Will says:

17d Education is ‘the three Rs’ so ‘one R’ would be a ‘limited education’, I suppose.

2. Colin Blackburn says:

Bah! That’s annoying Will, I should have seen that one.

3. neildubya says:

24 – my thoughts exactly.

Great puzzle – as you say, 3D and 13D are both excellent.

4. nmsindy says:

There is a theme! Have a look at grid. Will post with detail later.

5. nmsindy says:

Not wishing to reveal all, and I did not see it myself till quite a bit after I had the grid full with similar doubts as Colin re 24ac. Look at across entries.

6. nmsindy says:

Having missed recent Phi ninas and seen phantom ones that were not there, once I saw that the convention that 50% of cells should be checked was not being observed, I suspected there must be something more here. I filled the grid with one doubt (24ac) and it took me quite a while before I saw it. But then I did which was a good penny-dropping moment. In all across entries the word has the same first and last letter eg PAYSLIP, ENTWINE. This confirms HARDISH.

7. Colin Blackburn says:

Thanks Niall, I can now see that the clue should be parsed as, “Most of uncommon meat…” = HAR(e)