Independent 6563 by Tees

Posted by nmsindy on October 29th, 2007

nmsindy.

I found this very tough indeed.   Usually where there is a theme with interlinked answers, it’s slower but I thought this might be different when I found 16 across etc after just 12 mins.    But not so.   Some very devious, clever, misdirection and very satisfying to finish.

Solving time: 58 mins

* = anagram  < =reversed

ACROSS

9 ARCHENEMY    Dick CHENE(y) in ARMY!

12 C (Jonathan) ROSS E D = 500 (many).    Also thematic – referred to in 16

13 DEISM  Hidden – definition ‘reasonable belief’ made me a bit doubtful for a while, however.

14 R (ET) AILERS   Duo after lead in Peter = pETer

19 SUMMITEER      Favourite clue, with misleading context of a chess board.   A meeting of the top 8 countries (not including China, though) and a mountain.

21 SAL(m)ON     3 = MEDIUM (abbrev m)      ‘concealed’ used as subtractive indicator.

24 DO RIS ST(OK)ES     A medium   Do ok in (sisters)*

25 SEDGE WREN    Jenny is a wren  (green weds)*.    New phrase for me that I worked out from the anagram when I’d enough crossing letters.

DOWN

1 CAN DI DATES     Surface a bit surreal.

2 S CAR RING    Very subtle misdirection.    Definition is ‘marks left’

3 MEDIUM     Was not fully convinced of this till solving 24 across.  “Say television channel” It is a TV channel but ‘say’ puzzled me.    “TV channel, say” would be a straight definition.    Not sure about medium = say

4 Alvin B ERG   Wrote the opera ‘Lulu’   B = letter after a!

5 EYE-CATCHER   Holden Caulfield, main character in JD Salinger’s ‘The Catcher in the Rye’.

6 GE (RONIM)O     Minor<  in Geo (a creek or gully)

7 LASSI E    (sails)*   Clever use of seagoing context, for the much-filmed dog  “Bark’s courageous owner”

14 R (OOT) EDNESS    Too<     Clever misdirection – was looking for in = both ends of inflammation for quite a while.

15 S (ER ENAD) ING   (Dane re)< in sing = grass = inform.    Shakespeare’s Hamlet is a Dane.

17 T (HICK) EST   Fun clue.

18 HE (LIPO) R T

20 MA (I G) RE

9 Responses to “Independent 6563 by Tees”

1. neildubya says:

Just a minor point: BERG was Alban not Alvin.

I also thought I was going to struggle with this as I had half a dozen answers filled in after 10 minutes and none of ‘em were thematic. Then I saw that the long phrase at 16A might end in SIDE and it all fell into place after that.

3D – I think it might be a double def: “Say television” and “channel”. Could a MEDIUM be a channel between the living and dead perhaps? Not sure.

Anyroad, as you say, great puzzle with lots of clever stuff going on.

2. conradcork says:

Neil

Isn’t that what mediums are supposed to do, to channel communication between you and the ‘other side’?

3. neildubya says:

Well, yes – that’s sort of my point. Sorry, didn’t word that very well. Another way of putting might be to ask if we could call Doris Stokes a “channel” as well as a medium. That’s the bit I wasn’t sure about.

4. nmsindy says:

Thanks, Neildubya, that’s right, I’m sure, channel = medium (not necessarily “to the other side”) and “say television” (double definition). A slip with Lulu – have to admit, in musical terms, I’m more familiar with a Scottish Eurovision lady. 14 across etc links in with all this.

5. nmsindy says:

Sorry, that should be 16 across etc (not 14 across).

6. Rufus says:

My thesauri all give medium=channel (Collins; Rodale; New Penguin; Geddes. It’s where we get media for channels of commuication.

7. rightback says:

14ac: ‘lead in Peter’ had me totally (wrongly) convinced there was a ‘P’ in the answer, and I couldn’t work out what ‘duo’ was doing so ending up leaving this one blank, along with 14dn (not helped by being unsure over ‘summiteer’ vs ‘summitter’). A win for the setter, I’m afraid – well done.

8. nmsindy says:

Yes, Rufus, thanks, that’s exactly right, similar to what’s noted by Neildubya above.

9. nmsindy says:

Re Rightback’s point in 7 re 14ac, that was just what I thought before eventually getting the answer from the definition and then seeing how it worked afterwards.