Guardian 24226 – Rufus / Easy start to the week

Posted by tilsit on November 5th, 2007

tilsit.

Solving Time: 10 minutes

Nice, pleasant start to the week. Nothing too challenging.  5 down being my last entry.

ACROSS  (* = ANAGRAM; (CD) =  Cryptic definition;  (R) REVERSAL

1   REVEAL              A inside REVEL
5   ROLY POLY      (CD) -  Anyone remember the Roly Polys on TV?  They were a team of “experienced” and lager dancers who appeared on Les Dawson’s show.
9   BUTTERED        UTTER (say) in BED (with the ‘in’ coming from the phrased retired, ie in bed.  Some will like it, some won’t.
10  MUNICH            I in MUNCH
11  A PIECE OF CAKE   Double def.
13  FOCI                    OF (R) +  CI (101 in Roman numerals)
14  TONSURES        (CD) -  The hairstyle favoured by some monks.
17  ADHESION         SO HE AND I*
18  NOEL                  LEON* (TROTSKY)
20  BEAT A RETREAT  (CD)
23  ODDS ON           ODD + SON
24  INDICTED         INDICATED minus A
25  FRIED EGG       FRIDGE E.G.*
26  RIDERS              Double def

DOWN
2   EMUS                  WE MUST less first and last letters
3   EXTRADITE       Is this a cryptic definition?
4   LARKIN              LARK + IN
5   REDUCE TO NOTHING “Love” as in the tennis sense.
6   LAMPOONS       MP in SALOON*
7   PANIC                 PC with IN A (R) inside
8   LOCK KEEPER   Dbl def.  Locks  refer to hair
12  ROAD MENDER   (cd)
15  UNNOTICED     CONTINUED*
16  MID RANGE      DREAMING*  -  a new def on me, but I see how it work.
19  TENDER             Dbl def.
21  TASTE                Dbl def.
22  TEAR                  Dbl def.

10 Responses to “Guardian 24226 – Rufus / Easy start to the week”

1. George Foot says:

10 ac. Is Munich a Capital? of where?

2. Geoff says:

10ac: Munich is the capital of the state (‘Land’ in German) of Bavaria.

There have been several instances lately of bloggers and correspondents complaining about the trick of using ‘in [name of country]‘ to mean ‘place in [country]‘. I suppose this is vague, but it isn’t actually misleading. Rufus has avoided this particular trap, but could be accused of falling into another. Instead of ‘foreigh capital’ is might have been marginally better to have used ‘foreign city’ or even ‘provincial capital’. But I got the answer almost immediately, so it’s no big deal (although i did have a slight unease that there might be an alternative lesser known city which was actually a current or former national capital!)

I got though this one pretty rapidly – the only thing which held me back from record time was the unusually large number of double def and single cryptic def clues.

3. Comfy Settee says:

I found this a bit tougher than a usual Rufus, but that’s probably just a sign of my advancing senility… it took me longer to do this one than the weekend Araucaria though…

Some quite nice clues, I thought – RIDERS had me stumped for a while (I kept wanting to put MODELS, but couldnt figure out what it had to do with “qualifications” – “*absence* of qualifications” might have made more sense!). BUTTERED (UTTER in BED) was quite clever, I thought, as was INDICTED.

I thought TENDER was slightly off? From the clue, I was looking for a noun (“one who cares”), while the answer was an adjective. Still, got it in the end, so shouldnt grumble!

I think I agree with Geoff that MUNICH, whilst technically correct, could have been a bit better. Again, it wasnt much of a deflection though.

4. Geoff says:

Yes – there are some very good clues in this puzzle.

The last one I solved was 3dn. Rufus very cleverly presents a cryptic definition clue that is barely cryptic at all – it could serve pretty well in a ‘quick’ crossword. What decoyed me (presumably as intended) was the word ‘return’ – that ubiquitous signal word in a cryptic – and that dastardly comma, both of which deceived me into thinking that there was more in the clue than meets the eye. Might this be a rare example of a clue that is easier for a novice than a (somewhat) more experienced solver? Simple but highly ingenious.

5. Mick Hodgkin says:

I think ‘capital’ should be reserved for the capitals of nation states – otherwise where will it all end?
    I got stuck on RIDERS and TEAR, then came back and saw them both instantly, and liked both clues.

6. muck says:

10ac MUNICH was a nice clue – M***** could have been Madrid or Mexico. The Germans call it Muenchen, the first ‘e’ standing for the umlaut my keyboard doesn’t have, and the Italians call it Monaco di Bavaria.

7. Testy says:

Comfy Settee: Re TENDER – one definition of tender is one who tends (e.g. a nurse who tends to patients).

Mick: Surely if it is technically a capital why shouldn’t it be clued as such just because it is not the sort of capital we most immediately think of? If setters were restricted to just use the most obvious meanings for words then I think crosswords would be much poorer for it.

8. Geoff says:

Despite my remarks above, I agree with both Muck and Testy – 10ac for MUNICH was a nice clue and wasn’t unduly obscure. i was just pointing out that by not having used ‘in Germany’ – which gets some of our friends foaming at the mouth – Rufus, by widening ‘capital’ to include ‘provincial (or presumably ‘state’) capital, may have made the clue more precise in a technical sense but given the solver an even wider range of potential options. How many provincial capitals are there in the world for heaven’s sake? A lot more than the number of towns in Germany that are familiar enough for a setter to get away with the ‘in Germany’ device!
    But the bottom line for a cryptic clue is that it should not be too vague, and the solution should be unambiguous when found. This worked on that account, so all is fine and dandy.

9. ilancaron says:

I thought that this was vintage Rufus with high-quality cryptic definitions (make love? and TONSURES were quite good) — all characterized by having a credible and misleading surface. Also, I liked that fact that MUNICH has an ICH==I in it (which had me wondering what MUN might mean at first!)

10. paul b says:

I don’t think Indy setters can apply the ‘in Somewhere’ definition to places – we have to define a noun as … well, a noun!