Independent 6577/Dac

Posted by Colin Blackburn on November 14th, 2007

Colin Blackburn.

This one will have to be quick, so here goes…

1 CAPACITY — P.A. in CA CITY — Ca = California.
10 MARINE BIOLOGIST — cryptic def. — main = ocean.
12 OUTFITTER — OUT+FITTER — out = intent on getting.
13 UNHAND — UN HAND — not sure foreign worker is good enough here, surely many UN workers are British and may not work overseas. I’d have thought a question mark would have been in order here. Correction thanks to neildubya, UN= “a foreign”
17 HANGDOG — HANG+DOG — not a very nice image!
18 BONITO — I+NOB< + TO
23 EARTH — wEAR THick — my favourite clue. Simple, nice surface and a partial &lit quality if referring to Britain.
24 OPEN-AND-SHUT CASE — double def.

2 PARTHENON — PART+HEN+ON — I think the analysis here is correct.
3 CANADIAN DOLLARS — R in (A COLD ASIAN LAND)* — nice anagram…
4 TABLOID — TAB + “Lloyd” — ref. is to John Lloyd I think.
6 VIOLIN CONCERTOS — (CONTROLS VOICE IN)* — ..and again.
8 DETHRONE — DE(a)TH+R+ONE &lit — very clever.
9 POSTIE — (POET IS)* — another excellent but simple clue.
16 CHUCK OUT — CHUCK + OUT — I assume this is right though maybe another word fits the first part.
19 BUTCHER — BUTCHER(s) — butchers = butcher’s hook = look.

8 Responses to “Independent 6577/Dac”

1. neildubya says:

13A – isn’t it “a foreign”=UN, worker=HAND?

2. Colin Blackburn says:

Yes, of course. I missed the “a”! I even looked back at the clue when I thought it unsound for Dac and still failed to spot the “a”. I blame it on my glasses.

3. Nealh says:

I looked “CHUCK” up. Apparently, it’s US slang for food. Hence chuck out(side) = picnic.

4. Paul B says:

Double definitions invited for CHUCK, then.

5. Rufus says:

In the cowboy films of my youth – late 1930s – the cowboys always awaited the arrival of the “chuck” wagon for their food.

6. JohnP says:

Could someone please explain the BIOLOGIST in MARINE BIOLOGIST?

7. nmsindy says:

Not got the puzzle now, maybe you could quote the clue – from memory as Colin says it was cryptic definition (main = sea = ocean) though the biologist was not specified, maybe there’s a MARINE something else, but crossing letters would have helped perhaps.

8. Colin Blackburn says:

I don’t have the clue available either but it suggested someone who studied to work in the main. I don’t think biologist was specified directly but the study aspect hinted at a scientist and, as nmsindy says, the checking letters left little choice.