FT 12,616/Adamant – Curiouser and Curiouser

Posted by smiffy on November 15th, 2007

smiffy.

This one flowed pretty steadily from the NW corner, where the first few clues allow a pretty generous introduction.  The FT puzzle seems to have suffered an upsurge in bizarro surface readings of late, and today extends that trend. I’m sure that it’s just a coincidental clustering, and after a couple in close succession I tend to become more attuned to subsequent infractions. Still, here’s hoping they don’t become any more endemic.

1 H,AND,I,CAP
6 P(ED,L)AR – Not completely convinced that “Mean”=Par, but happy to let it ride.
12 TAIL,ORMADE (roamed)*
19 LIKE,WISE – an initial deviation towards a weird surface. But we’re only at the eyebrow-raising stage yet.
21 COPYWRITER – double def (presumably).
24 VIN,DAL,OO (lad)rev – Here we go. “French wine brought boy over with two ducks for the meal”.  A dining experience to rival the Mad Hatter’s tea-party, from the sounds of it.  Besides, isn’t vindaloo simply a style of cooking, rather than a meal in itself?
27 SMITH,Y – Relieved to report that I didn’t have any problems on this one. Otherwise it could have been embarrassing!
28 S(EG,MEN)TS – “Street”=Sts

2 A(WAR)D – “Peace in our time” is a good spot by Adamant.
4 CAP,IT,ATE (tea)* – Again, I don’t really fathom the surface here…
6 P(OG)ROM – …or here either.
8 ANECDOTES (Ace doesn’t)*
13 MADE WELCOME (mad emcee low)* – Curiouser and curiouser…
17 S(KIR)TING – …but here’s our gold medallist for strangest surface of the day! “Bypassing police trap, full of blackcurrant drink”.
20 O,RALLY – simple but effective.
23 DE(-s)IST – one of those words I only seem to encounter in crosswords.

5 Responses to “FT 12,616/Adamant – Curiouser and Curiouser”

1. Paulie says:

RE: 21 COPYWRITER – double def (presumably).

Yes it is a double def, medieval scribes had to copy existing books by hand.

2. Douglas says:

When will you have a solution for FT #12,624?

I blogged about Polymath #424 here

I want a Conway Stewart pen!

3. smiffy says:

One of our number usually blogs the Saturday FTs but, because they are prize puzzles, he waits until the deadline has passed before posting (as per 15^2 “best practice”). So, typically, the blog for 12,624 should be published in approximately one week’s time.

Now that you tipped me off about the value of the prize, you may have inadvertently created some additional competition for yourself! I wasn’t aware of your website. If you mention it to our Lord-High-Blogmeister (aka Neildubya) elsewhere around here, he may well add a link to it.

4. Douglas says:

Neildubya has dropped by Crossword Bebop a time or two. Fifteensquared is on my blogroll. Does one use the phrase “linky love” in the UK?

5. neildubya says:

I’ve added Crossword Bebop to our blogroll (under Solving Blogs). I’ve never heard the phrase “linky love” before but I like it and will try to use it in polite conversation.