Posted by michod on November 15th, 2007
Not for the first time, I did the crossword, checked the site for the blog, then remembered it was my day! Volcanoes the theme here, six of them, all in the acrosses. Good stuff, as ever, from the Monkey-puzzler.
1. VESUVI US (l)UVVIES*. I could see the form of this, but didn’t get it till I knew what I was looking for.
9. A RUM LILY. I think of adults only as X, but A is OK per the dictionary.
12. DELTA. Double def, ref 14. One pedantic point, but do streams have deltas, or do they have to be rivers? Probably they do, I’m no geographer.
13. S TROMBO(LI/ne). Lovely wordplay, switching one half of line (NE) for the other (LI) in ‘trombone’. It’s a volcanic island north of Sicily, where the sand is black.
14. COME ON STREAM (MASTER*).
18. DICK SHEP PARD. (SHIP DECK*) Now even as one with a certain amount of past involvement in CND and the like, I find this pretty obscure, but Dick Sheppard was the founder of the Peace Pledge Union. Why he was not a nail blower I have no idea. http://www.ppu.org.uk/learn/infodocs/people/pst_dick.html
21. MOUNT ETNA. (ANTE<). Good clue. Once I’d got the theme, I looked for a four-letter entry for Etna, but found none. Aha!
23. SAINT HELENS (SA IN THE LENS). This looked like an anagram, but wasn’t. St Helen’s is/was a centre of glassmaking (Pilkington’s), hence ’where it was made’. The volcano is not in Lancashire, of course, but Mt St Helen’s in Washington State.
24. ERE BUS. The fifth volcano.
27. KRAKA TO A. (hom. CRACKER). And the sixth.
1. VI ANDS. Adders for ands is nice.
3. VOL CANOES. The theme word.
4. UNLISTENED TO. (OUTLINES TEND*). A term also unheard of, to me.
8. STERIGMA. A new pne on me, but clear once you’ve got 20.
11. TRA(i)NS PLANTER. Not difficult, since Barnard could only refer to the heart transplant pioneer, but an elegant clue.
15. TURNS BACK (BURN STACK spoonerised).
17. SCHUBERT – I assume, but don’t know why he’s namely Parry. Ah, hang on, SC = namely, so who’s Hubert Parry… another composer, OK – pardon my ignorance.
19. V IBIS T. Someone who plays the vibes.
20. STIG (GITS<), MA(rk).