Guardian 24,252 Araucaria – “A piece of cake”

Posted by neildubya on December 5th, 2007

neildubya.

…. hardly ! It’s an Araucaria after all.

Interim version of the solutions – feel free to help me out with the left side of the puzzle – managed to crack the RHS and the theme in a spare 30 minutes over breakfast. Otherwise I’ll be back at lunchtime to finish it off.

ACROSS

6 DUNDEE : Bonny Dundee. Scots folk hero that 90% of Scots claim to be related to

9  IMP-A-LA : “A La” means in the style of. Although it also sounds dangerously like a name I should be using carefully these days. Thank you for not stoning me.

10 TAKE BACK

12 TOASTED TEA : (TO EAT DATES)* It was the only anagram I could find – which gifted me the theme.

13 PROFIT-E-ROLE : Profit =Return

23 BATTEN-BURG : Batten = eat in a big fast way Burg = (Grub) <

25 CAR-ROT

DOWN

3 HUCK-STER : Huck(leberry) Finn and (rest)*

4 ODD-BOD

7 ECCLES : Short for “Ecclesiastes” or “Ecclesiastical”

8 STRAIT-LACED : (ARTIST)* + laced (into a corset)

15 LOBSTERS

17 ARREST = (SARTRE)*

20 TUBMAN = President of Liberia for a long time not so recently

9 Responses to “Guardian 24,252 Araucaria – “A piece of cake””

1. Berny says:

5 sponge – double definition
    11 seed
    18 pontefract – pact with anag of ‘for ten’
    19 megabyte – me ga(by)te
    24 parkin – northern recipe ginger cake eaten on november 5th

1 colander – co land er
    2 aghast – ag haste(e)
    5 simnel – ?
    14 fifty six – 14 qradupled
    18 bo peep – b(op)eep
    19 tea urn – anag

2. David says:

5d Lambert Simnel was a pretender to the throne in the fifteenth century

3. Judy Bentley says:

David, the name Simnel has stirred up memories from 50 years ago. Was Perkin Warbeck also involved?

4. conradcork says:

Judy

The only connection between Lambert Simnel and Perkin Warbeck is a coincidence of dates. They were both pretenders to the crown of Henry VII – and both fakes.

5. muck says:

Bonnie Dundee hit me straight away, so I had the cake theme. Thanks, David, for the explanation of Simnel.

6. Ali says:

I seem to remember that there was a Listener puzzle a few years back which had pretenders as its theme. Remembering the Simnel/cake connection from that puzzle helped me out quite a lot with the NW corner on this one!

Ali

7. muck says:

23ac: Chambers (English Dictionary, 1988) spells this Battenberg. The older Chambers 20th Century doesn’t have it at all. Maybe the newest Chambers, which I hate, has the alternate spelling used by Araucaria.

8. muck says:

23ac: The Battenburg spelling can be found on Google or Chambers on-line. Sorry.

9. Ygor says:

4D “odd bod” had me stumped. I get that it rhymes, but is this a common phrase or name?