Posted by Pete Maclean on December 6th, 2007
A more difficult than usual Cinephile this time around. I started my puzzle with 30A which gave me a good entree to 5D. The mention of “rose” in the clue and a three-letter word ending in P made me think of HIP, and from that I quickly had the one long answer. I thought that would make the rest of the puzzle a breeze but I was wrong! I found 1A, 6A, 27A and 8D to be tough. I particularly like 6D, 13D and 20D.
1. PREVIOUS – REV (clergyman) in PIOUS (dedicated)
6. JOSEPH – EP[istle] (letter) in JOSH (tease)
9. MAILED – double definition
10. OPERATOR – double definition
11, 22. SHOE TREE – HOE (weeder) in STREE[t] (endless road)
12. RETRENCHES – RE (connected with) + TRENCHES (WW1 scene)
14. LAUGHTER – UGH (expression of disgust) in LATER (subsequent). Clever use of “case” here!
18, 16. POLO NECK – POLO (explorer) + NECK (isthmus)
19. MANCIPLE – anagram of INC (roughly incorporated) in MAPLE (tree). I got this quickly as I happen to know the word but wanted to verify its meaning and was surprised that I had to try three dictionaries before I found it!
21. FOREGATHER – ??? I do not understand the wordplay in this clue but the clear definition still made it fairly easy. (See the Comments section below for more.)
24. BIRDBATH – anagram of BAD (bad arrangement) in BIRTH (origin)
26. DROP IN – double/cryptic definition
27. STIGMA – ST[en] + [en]IGMA
28. PARASITE – PA (opening of pavement) + RA (artist) + SITE (location)
2. ROACH – [b]ROACH
3. VELVET GLOVE – V (another 5 first) + anagram of VO (5-0) and GET LEVEL. In my original posting I wrote that I could not quite get this wordplay to work. I was stuck on thinking that the LOVE must come from the zero (in 5-0). See the Comments section below.
4. OBDURATE – anagram of BAD ROUTE
5. SHOOT FROM THE HIP – cryptic definition
6. JEEVES – JE (French setter) + EVES (women)
7, 25. SEA DOG – cryptic definition with “bark” meaning a sailing ship (more usually, I believe, spelled barque).
8. PROVENCAL – PROVEN (established) + CAL[ifornia] (part of US)
13. CONVICTIONS – double definition
15. APOLOGIST – APOLO (god with L, left, removed) + GIST (point)
17. INTRUDER – anagram of TIN + RUDER (less polished)
20. BANANA – not bananas!
23. EVICT – hidden word