Independent 6596/Nimrod

Posted by neildubya on December 6th, 2007

neildubya.
4 (SHE COSTS O)* – COHOSTESS. Quite a strange clue as it’s not really an &lit (“She costs nothing when partying”) but it reads like one.
9 ATE in NS – NATES was new to me so, together with the wrong-way-round wording “clenching worried Poles” meaning “Poles clenching worried”, this held me up for a while.
10 GAL,I in METHS
11 CAF[-e] in SELL – last one in for me and I had to use to check that SCA FELL is indeed a mountain or “peak”.
13/1 IT STARTED WITH A KISS – A song by Hot Chocolate. The rest of the clue (“answers here”) refers to the positioning of the answer in the grid so that A KISS starts the crossword at 1a.
16/24 THIS WILL END IN TEARS – similar to the previous answer in that part of the clue (“description of today’s puzzle”) refers to the completed grid – the last across entry being TEARS.
18 H,S in (LAPSE)* – HAPLESS
20 GATE A,U,X – I was a little puzzled by “first opening” but have just twigged that it’s GATE A.
21 (A GULLET OR)* – LAGER LOUT. I liked this a lot. The gullet is the throat so we have a reference to drinking and “misbehaving” in the clue.
23 (RETRO AZED)* – ZERO-RATED. Misleading surface reading and, of course, name-checking a fellow compiler.

1 (COSTING A)* – Quite a hard definition to spot (“He doesn’t know”). I think I would have spotted the anagram a bit quicker but I thought “it’s” had more significance rather than just being a link word.
2 N,S in INTRA,IT – took a while to parse this one – “Crossing partners break within it” – as my initial thought was that “within” was a container indicator and “it” the container itself, which works for IN TRANSIT. But actually, “within” in INTRA/
3 (CARROT MYSTERIES)* – SYSTEMATIC ERROR.
4 (USE WET POLO MATCH)* – COMPLETE WASHOUT.
5 HIGHLY DELIGHTED – a pun on being up high (“cloud”,”heaven”).
6 (EVENTS AFFLICTED)* – SELF-EVIDENT FACT. I was a bit surprised to see EVIDENT in the answer given that “evidence” is in the clue but it must be right.
7 EAT-IN – don’t understand this one: “CH in full is not to go!” “Not to go” must be the definition – any offers for the rest of the clue?
14 HYDRANGEA – sounds like “hyde ranger”.
15 (SEX SINCE)* – IN EXCESS.
17 L in SHUT,Z – must be a reference to this man.
19 RE,GAP (going up)

6 Responses to “Independent 6596/Nimrod”

1. Testy says:

“CH in full” is Central Heating. Central Heating (i.e. the centre of hEATINg) is EAT IN and (as you mention) if something is “not to go” in a cafe it is to “EAT-IN”.

2. Richard Palmer says:

I couldn’t finish this.

I had heard of Scafell (isn’t it the highest peak in England?) but thought it was one word. I was looking for sea something.

I guess 12 across is Leeanne. Although Chambers gives 6 variants of Leanne this is not one of them.

I couldn’t get 8 down. Does the fact that Neil doesn’t explain it mean it’s blindingly obvious or couldn’t he do it either?

3. Austen says:

8 down is SUSSEX – See through is SUSS, wife that was is EX.

4. neildubya says:

Deciding which clues to blog is always tricky. 8d didn’t look blindingly obvious but it looked a bit easier than some of the other clues which is why I left it out. I also had LEEANNE for 12a but I’d never seen that spelling of it either.

5. Colin Blackburn says:

Scafell Pike is the highest peak in England. Sca Fell, about a mile away from Scafell Pike, is the second highest peak and is sometimes spelt as one word but often as two.

6. nmsindy says:

I found this a very difficult puzzle but got there in the end – SUSSEX being last.
    The interlinking of clues and the large no. of 15-letter answers were part of the reason for this. Thanks for GATE A which I did not understand. The key to finishing was seeing EAT IN and why.