Independent 6607/Dac

Posted by neildubya on December 19th, 2007

neildubya.
1 PACK, L in CAB (all reversed) – the BLACKCAP is a small songbird.
9 INDI[-a]‘S,POSITION – I found this very tough and only got the answer by finding a word that fit the letters I had and working back from there.
10 W,AGE FREEZE – “frees”. This was deceptive too as, to me at least, “relieves” sounded like it was part of the definition.
12 KENS,IT – Patsy. Is she in some soap or other these days?
14 T,I,B in MALES
24 ZA in TARN
25 (THE RACES)* – CHEATERS. Wasn’t sure about this at the time of solving but dictionaries confirm that CHEATERS is a slang word for spectacles or glasses.

2 AIR in LAGE[-r] – I think LAIRAGE is right although it’s not in any dictionary I currently have access to (which doesn’t include Collins or Chambers).
3 R in CADE – was a bit unsure about this one too but a bit of searching finds that Jack CADE led a rebellion of men who tried to force reforms on the government of Henry VI.
4 CAST,RATED – was definitely not expecting “having lost balls” to be the definition here!
5 (STINT TOP TEACHER)* – PROTESTANT ETHIC.
6 JU[-st]ICE
8 (UNNAMED)* – I can’t believe how long it took me to spot “suspect” as the anagram indicator. But what a good clue though: “Unnamed suspect with no distinguishing features”.
17 BANK,I’S<,A – I’m hopeless with plants, flowers and whatnot but this wasn’t too tricky.

5 Responses to “Independent 6607/Dac”

1. Testy says:

2D is right, according to Chambers:

lairage: n. a place or accommodation where cattle are housed or laired, esp at markets and docks.

2. nmsindy says:

No one’s mentioned 22 down (S?E?T) – is it SWEET (kind) and, if so, why?
    “Kind of W-H-E-A-T”(5)

3. neildubya says:

22d – I filled in SPELT, which is a kind of W-H-E-A-T.

4. nmsindy says:

Thanks, a new word for my vocabulary. And it fits that wordplay which had me intrigued from the first time I saw it.

5. petebiddlecombe says:

At 5D I must confess to thinking “Protestant Work Ethic” surely, but a Google search put me right – the phrase comes from Max Weber’s “The Protestant Ethic and the spirit of capitalism”.