Independent 6610/Scorpion (22-12-07)

Posted by neildubya on December 28th, 2007

neildubya.

The easiest puzzle I’ve solved by this usually difficult setter. A few people here have mentioned that they’ve often found many of Scorpion’s clues to be a bit contrived but I don’t think that’s something he could be accused of in this puzzle. There are some really good clues here and my favourite was 20d.

10 (AND HEM)*,D,OWNS – HAND-ME-DOWNS.
11 OU,T – OU is the French word for “where”
12 (CRE[-vi]CE)*
13 ONEROUS – not sure I understand this one: “Taxing people supports our wars”. “Taxing” must be the definition but don’t know about the rest.
14 OM in NINE,E – “one over the eight” for NINE is made more deceptive by the booze reference in the clue.
17 E,MEN in LET – this is very good: “He perhaps authorised patrolling soldiers to follow bearing”. The definition being “He perhaps” as He is the chemical symbol for Helium.
22 HERM in EAT< – THERMAE. HERM is the smallest of the Channel Islands that are open to the public. Like Sark, cars are banned there. Looks lovely .
24 H in (E FIT)* – another good clue with a nice surface reading.
27 I in CRAG – I’m not convinced that “Bond” is a good enough definition for CRAIG (Daniel, the actor currently playing Bond). Surely a bit more help is needed? That said, I did solve the clue with no problems…
28 (FOLDER)*,N,CH – OLD FRENCH.

1 CO[H for NF]ERENCE
2 I,NIC in MAM – I think “state contributions” must be NIC or National Insurance Contributions.
3 E,(EVEN READ)* in DAMAGE – DAME EDNA EVERAGE.
4 (DETOX IE)* in TV< – VIDEOTEXT. Couldn’t have been the easiest word to clue but I think Scorpion has a good go at it here.
6 POST,OFFICE (WROTE)* – POST OFFICE TOWER.
15 LIE (LODGER)* – LIEGE LORD.
20 MAILMAN – the clue of the puzzle for me: “Laborer connecting zips to hoods”. Note the deliberate US spelling and the fact that “zips” are zip codes (equivalent to post codes) and hood is short for “neighbourhood”. Put it all together and you have an excellent and misleading cryptic definition.

5 Responses to “Independent 6610/Scorpion (22-12-07)”

1. nmsindy says:

I thought this was a tip-top puzzle. One not mentioned in the blog was “US retreat affected Beckham? (4,5) CAMP DAVID, made even better as a nine-letter anagram was falsely suggested. Like neildubya, I found this the least difficult Scorpion of the year. I think ONEROUS may be people = ones containing (our)* with wars indicating the anagram.

2. beermagnet says:

I don’t think I have ever finished a Scorpion puzzle – and this was no different.
    I’m still stuck on two:
    11A Asleep in France where tranquillity’s priority (3) –T
    7D Some heavyweights heading for certain defeat inside 10, making comeback (7) -O–S-I
    Also, I don’t understand how to parse this:
    23D Clubs in Balearic resort rejected Northern Male there (5) MACHO
    and like you I can’t understand 13A ONEROUS

3. beermagnet says:

Hmm. I shouldn’t use hyphens for blanks. Double hyphens get concatenated. Blanks are: 11A ??T 7D ?O??S?I

4. nmsindy says:

11 A OU (where) T (1st letter)
    7 D C O LOSS I ten = IO
    23 Down C in MAHO(N)

5. beermagnet says:

Thanks NMS
    I really must look twice – I now realise Neil did explain 11A in the original blog.