Independent’s missing cryptic of Sat 29 12 2007

Posted by nmsindy on December 30th, 2007

nmsindy.

There are comments on this following the blog of Dac 6614 (Fri 28 12 2007)

13 Responses to “Independent’s missing cryptic of Sat 29 12 2007”

1. Quixote says:

No word of explanation or apology today (Monday) as far as I can see. I suspect they’ll let it slide by, but I do hope not.

2. neildubya says:

Indeed. And as cock-ups go, they don’t really get much bigger than this. We’ve all seen crossword-related mistakes before – the wrong grid printed, clues not proof-read etc – but missing out the entire puzzle is pretty special.

I’d be interested to know how many people phoned/emailed the Indy to complain.

3. Jos says:

Settled down with a cup of tea, searched the paper cover to cover … and underwent unplanned cold turkey.

4. neildubya says:

I read elsewhere that the reception desk at the Indy was inundated with angry phone calls from people who (like me) only buy the paper for the crossword.

5. Joins says:

Perhaps this omission encouraged some readers (who might not otherwise) to have a stab at the inqusitor xword in the Saturday magazine?

6. nmsindy says:

The cock-up theory is confirmed by the numbering – Friday’s was 6614 and Monday’s 6616.

7. Quixote says:

It’s in today’s paper as an extra Bank Holiday prize crossword. Cheeky, eh?

8. nmsindy says:

That’s good – and it’s numbered 6615 while the normal Virgilius puzzle is 6617.

9. neildubya says:

There’s also an apology tucked away in the main paper – blink and you’ll miss it.

10. nmsindy says:

Please tell us where it is, so I don’t have to search every page of the paper like last Sat when I was looking for the puzzle.

11. Mike Laws says:

It’s at the bottom of page 7

12. nmsindy says:

Thanks, Mike – it was quite an OK apology, blaming a ‘production error’.

13. neildubya says:

Funny that they didn’t print the apology next to the puzzle though. I mean, that would be the obvious thing to do wouldn’t it?