Guardian 24275/Rover

Posted by linxit on January 3rd, 2008

linxit.

Solving time 8:12

I haven’t done a Rover puzzle for a long time, so I looked on the Setters page here to see what I’d be in for, and he’s described as “Hard”. That may need to be re-evaluated – this was not a hard puzzle, but it was mostly pretty good.

1 FILLING STATION – ha ha, corny but nice CD.
8 UN,DUE – I’m a bit dubious about the definition here. Surely it means uncalled-for or inappropriate rather than extreme.
11 THE,ATRE=rate* – good surface reading.
12 SCHERZI – plural of scherzo – the Italian word literally means “jokes”.
17 HIGH,LIGHT
23 WITHOUT – if you’re short you have to do without.
25 SONATINA (A nation’s)*
27 GERMAN SHEPHERD РPastor Niem̦ller was a German priest and anti-Nazi theologian.

1 FRUIT MACHINE – this CD was a bit too obvious.
2 LODGE – last one I got, along with 8A.
4 GOLF,ERS – flog rev, + ER’s. I don’t think ER can be pluralised like that though. I can’t recall seeing it done before.
5 TABASCO – A,B inside TACOS*
6 TENTH – “often” in two parts = “of ten”
7 OBSERVANT – the Guardian’s sister paper is of course The Observer.
10 DISHEARTENED – as this clue is! I only got it when I had all the checking letters.
16 COURT,SHIP – I like the definition “steady progress”.
18 GRECIAN – ref. Keats’ Ode on a Grecian Urn.
19 TOWPATH – another good CD
22 A(LAR)M – a lar is a Roman household god.
24 OURIE – hidden in flOURIEst. Comes up quite regularly in advanced cryptics, but I was surprised to see it in a daily puzzle. It means poor in the sense of dingy, shabby rather than skint.

7 Responses to “Guardian 24275/Rover”

1. Shirley says:

24D – Can someone please explain why Ourie has anything to do with Perth? Is it Australian or Scottish? I can’t find a definition of Ourie anywhere.
    Thanks

2. linxit says:

It’s Scottish, also spelt oorie or owrie. I suspect that the only 1-volume dictionary you’ll find it in is Chambers.

3. ilancaron says:

I’m struggling to work out how 1D misleads at all… I mean what is the surface misdirection that is supposed to seduce us into thinking of something else??

4. Stan says:

Didn’t enjoy the puzzle so much – had a “Daily Telegraph” feel.

I think 1d. was a reference to the opera “Love of Three Oranges”, but I agree it wasn’t too misleading.

5. Richard says:

Ditto 10d – what’s cryptic about this?

6. Trev says:

As I see it … when one is blue, one is disheartened. And the word “blue”, when “lu” is removed (or disheartened), becomes “be”.

7. Dave Ellison says:

I had done most of this in 8-9 minutes, and was hoping for a PB, but struggled with the last few. 1D took a while because for a long time I thought it was an anagram of Three Oranges. I thought 10D was cute – BLUE disheartened is BE.