Independent 6630/Dac

Posted by John on January 16th, 2008

John.

A bit harder than the usual Dac, I found. Some of the bottom-half clues were peculiarly impenetrable, although in the end there was the usual satisfaction with Dac’s skills.

1 HIT THE JACK, POT
9 CAN(NAB 1)S
10 UP STICKS – up “Styx”
11 HEART H. Feeling = heart. This seemed a bit weak, but I suppose it’s as in “give your piano-playing some heart”.
12 CRUD(ites). I don’t quite see how “crud” (a noun) is defined by “Ugh” (an interjection)
14 S TAR RATING
16 MAPLE SYRUP – (plum pear s(ogg)y)*.
21 thaT RAVI Shankar. The name wasn’t, I have to admit, very familiar, but Google confirms.
23 SHOEBILL. This refers to Imelda Marcos’s penchant for shoes.
25 FAIR GAME – (image RAF)*
26 AM A ZON(e). “By” always throws me – I forget that it doesn’t indicate the order of words.
27 STREET THEATRE – CD

1 HOT S (UP rev.)R. Hotspur was an English rebel.
3 HARD CASES – (has scared)*
4 JO CAST A. For Jocasta see Oedipus the King by Sophocles.
5 (C IN C) H
6 PLAY-ACTOR – (royal pact)*
13 DELIVERER – re-reviled rev. I’m not 100% sure either that deliverer = white-van man or that re-reviled even exists. It seems to me that at the very least a question mark is needed.
15 RE PROBATE
17 AIRWAYS – 1 in (war say)*
20 (LAW rev.) POLE. I was thrown by “European” and thought it was simply E.
22 STAKE – CD
24 BE A ST – can be read as “be a saint”. Lovely.

7 Responses to “Independent 6630/Dac”

1. neildubya says:

I had problems in the lower half too, at least until I got the excellent 16a.

2. Jon says:

12ac (never heard of crudites, and with only the final D had little chance of finding crud from the definition) and 1d / 4d were the ones I didn’t get in the end. 27ac I would have got a lot quicker if I hadn’t written in ‘stamp’ inexplicably for 22d (and was the definition really that cryptic?) 16ac I got without fully untangling the wordplay -‘compote’ / ‘soggy’ / ‘crust’ giving me lots to play with.

3. Testy says:

Jon, have you perhaps instead heard of crudités (crew-dit-ays)?

4. Jon says:

Testy, thanks! Must admit, I didn’t check the pronounciation. You can see now why I only managed a C in ‘O’ Level French…

5. Jon says:

And it appears that my spelling has gone to pot too (only a C in English Lang, too, alas…)

6. nmsindy says:

HEARTH I read as H (hot) EARTH (i.e. here).

7. John says:

Nmsindy (HEARTH): Yes this is OK too I think, although perhaps it’s a bit loose to define “earth” by “here”. I think either are possible, but the explanation I offered at first seems to me to be the more likely one (not that I’d even thought of yours until you mentioned it).