Independent 6634 (Glow-Worm)

Posted by NealH on January 21st, 2008

NealH.

A solid puzzle by Glow-Worm, but I didn’t really understand the logic behind either of the 12 clues.

1 Curriculum Vitae: Cryptic def (possibly more of a reference to its latin meaning than its normal English usage).
12 Songstress: Didn’t really get this. The clue is “Soprano who is first in the bar ?” The only thing I could think of was that it was “song stress”, but that doesn’t sound likely.
13 Scillies: “c” in “sillies”.
15 Breton: “Br” + eton. Quite pleased to get that because I normally struggle with hats.
20 Horse sense: Soundalike of “hoarse cents”.
25 Assent: N in (Tessa)<. Not completely sure about “resile” as a way of indicating something is reversed.
26 Ancestor Worship: Misleading cryptic def.

2 + 22 Uriah Heep: U + (hair)< + soundalike of “heap” (deal in the “a deal of …” sense).
5 Loch Ness Monster: (Scots lore men shun – u)* + clever &lit def.
6 Mains: Alternate letters of Miami (mai) + ns. Good surface meaning that pointed towards a musical answer.
8 Ayers Rock: (Years)* + rock (dance).
12 Spied: Couldn’t make sense of this. The clue is “Sandpiper’s poll’s variegated and spotted”. Possibly it’s “s and p” followed by bits of the others words.
17 Austere: Auster (the South wind) + “E”.
23 Ennui: (genuine – g)*

————————————————-

11 Responses to “Independent 6634 (Glow-Worm)”

1. beermagnet says:

12A Song Stress. In music, the stress is normally the first beat in a bar. The “?” in the clue could be because it is not always the first.

12D It could be that “Sandpiper’s poll” just delivers an “S” where poll means top of head, thus first letter. Then Pied for variegated.

2. conradcork says:

12 down. Sandpiper’s poll means sandpiper’s head, ie ‘s’. Pied is variegated, as in Pied Piper, so spied = spotted.

3. Quixote says:

I guess that in a vertical column of the parts marked against the bars you have Soprano first with the highest notes. The other one is a bit easier : S + PIED surely?

4. NealH says:

I thought of poll as meaning to trim, but interpreted it the wrong way. I was looking for it to be a word with the first letter(s) removed rather than the first letter(s). I’ve not come across it used as a noun.

5. Jon says:

I made a good start on this, but got stuck with around 10 clues still unsolved, worse than any day last week. Perhaps it’s just the Monday doldrums, or the fact that this is apparently the most depressing day of the year (according to today’s news, at least).

6. nmsindy says:

SONGSTRESS perplexed me too, but now I understand it, thanks to this Board. Re ENNUI, genuine loses ge not just g which also puzzled me as I’d associated Ga as the abbrevation for Georgia. Collins does indeed give that but also ge as its internet abbreviation – maybe this is what the setter had in mind. Quite an easy clue, anyway. Really liked the misleading cryptic definition for ANCESTOR WORSHIP “Adoring grandparents?”

7. Testy says:

GA is the abbreviation for the Georgia that is in the USA. GE is an abbreviation for the Georgia that was part of the USSR.

8. Andrew says:

NealH – the “Poll” in Poll Tax is the “head” sense, so maybe you have come across it as a noun after all ;)

9. rightback says:

I couldn’t get MILEPOST and will now go and write out 100 times: “If you can’t solve a clue, make sure it’s not an anagram before giving up.”

10. BrianR says:

Put songstress in as my last entry, but could not understand “song”.
    A song does not stress the first note in a bar – the musician does.
    Should I have taken “song” to be on a parallel with music?

Thanks, Testy.
    I put “ennui” in very early, suspecting that I’d the wrong code for Georgia. Ta for your info.

Nmsindy: What was misleading about “ancestor worship”? With a clue like that, I consider nothing to be misleading.

(Independent 6634 published in South Australia on 13/02/2008)

11. nmsindy says:

ANCESTER WORSHIP I found it nicely misleading as, to me, “adoring grandparents” initially suggested the answer might be a noun (in the plural).