Posted by Pete Maclean on January 24th, 2008
A moderately easy and thoroughly splendid offering from Cincinnus this week. It is a bit heavy on double-definition clues but there’s nothing wrong with that especially since only one of them is a plain and simple example; the others are decidedly clever.
1. HOLLOWAY – double definition
5. JIGSAW – WAS GI J[oe] reversed
9. REACTION – RE (sappers) + ACTION (combat)
10. STRAIN – double definition
11. TAHITIAN – A (a) + H (head for heights) in TITIAN (artist)
12, 14. DENTAL HYGIENISTS – anagram of SIGN IN TEETH SADLY
18, 22. ORANGES AND LEMONS – double definition. The clue refers to the English nursery rhyme that starts, “Oranges and lemons say the bells of Saint Clement’s”.
23. ASPIRATE – double definition
24. TARTAR – TAR + TAR (sailor twice) and double definition
25. ABSINTHE – A (a) + B[utler] + S (bearing) + IN + THE. I happened to read just today that, following repeal of a law banning it, a company has just started marketing an absinthe in the US for the first time in 100 years (at a stunning $75 per 750ml bottle).
26. ENLIST – L[ocker] + IS (is) in ENT (hospital department)
27. UXORIOUS – anagram of SIOUX FALLS. Pity there was no way to capitalize the ‘F’.
1. HERETO – anagram of THE ORE
2. LOATHE – LO (old-fashioned look) + A + THE (articles)
3. OCTETS – vOiCeThEyTeSt
4. APOCALYPSE – cryptic definition referring to the movie Apocalypse Now
6. IN THE END – INTEND (mean) around H[ous]E
7. SMARTEST – anagram of MATTRESS
8. WINDLESS – double definition
13. WITNESS BOX – WITNESS (see) + BOX (tree)
15. ROULETTE – LET (allowed) in ROUTE (passage)
16. BALMORAL – MO (doctor) + RA (artist) in BALL (dance)
17. UGANDANS – anagram of A GNU + DANS (in French)
19. VIZIER – VIZ (adult comic) + IE (that is) + R (right). Viz is a British adult comic that, Wikipedia tells me, has been running since 1979. Curiously I have never come across it before.
20. CASTRO – C (leader in Caribbean) + A (a) + anagram of SORT. Oh my, what a fine &lit.
21. RECESS – double definition. And a truly brilliant one!