Posted by Pete Maclean on January 31st, 2008
A fairly routine puzzle from Mudd here. I completed it fairly quickly because I found the clues for the three long answers easy. Still, 11A and 5D took some puzzling over.
9. REAPPORTIONMENT – anagram of IMPORTANT ONE PER
10. SAUDI – S (small) + AUDI (car)
11. HAMSTRING – HAM (amateur) + STRING (racehorses)
12. AMERICANS – RIC[h] (infinitely wealthy) in A (a) + MEANS (way). Do I have this right? I must say that I do not exactly see how “infinitely wealthy” can properly clue RIC.
14. HEART – HEAR (try) + T (temperature)
16. SADOMASOCHISTIC – anagram of STOMACH ACIDOSIS
19. REACT – R[ubbishing] + E[xams] + A[nd] + C[ritiques] + T[eaching]
21. LITTLE TOE – LITT[er] (2/3 of piglets) + LET (allowed) + O[n]E
23. CARPENTER – PEN (pound) in [Jimmy] CARTER. A “chips” is a carpenter, I guess.
25. SWEAT – anagram of WASTE
26. PUBLIC OWNERSHIP – PUB (local) + COW (Jersey) in LINERS (vessels) + HIP (with it)
1. TRESPASSER – TRES PASSE (very dated in French) + R (king). Nice clue!
2. MANURE – MAN (isle) + URE (river)
3. OPTIMISM – OPT (PICK) + S (Sweden) in MIMI (girl) backwards
4. ARCH – [l]ARCH. Oh, “arch” again. We had that last week!
5. SIAMESE CAT – I AM (I am) + E[xtend] + S[econd] + E (note) in SCAT (jazz)
6. SNATCH – double definition
7. HESITANT – HE (man) + SIT (pose) + ANT (six-footer)
8. STAG – S (short) + TAG (leg)
13. ABSOLUTION – even-numbered letters in MAYBE THE ANSWER RELEASE
15. TICKER TAPE – double/cryptic definition
17. DIATRIBE – DIA (help raised) + TRIBE (people)
18. ILLUSORY – anagram of OUR SILLY
20. TIEPIN – TIE (game) + PIN (leg)
22. TEETHE – TEE[nagers] + THE[ory]
23. CAPE – double definition
24. RANK – double definition