Guardian 24305/Paul – Stub

Posted by beermagnet on February 8th, 2008

beermagnet.

I’m putting this short post in place to carry the chat requested by others elsewhere.
I, too, would like explanations for a few answers here.
I’ll remove this post on request.
[Additions made to this post about 15:35]

1 ACCUSABLE A then CU’S inside CABLE
6 CUBED DD Mathematically raised to the 3rd power
9 BREAM (1 down)*
10 STRINGENT TRING in SENT
11 REACQUIRED C (many) QUIRE (sheets) in READ (study)
12 OKRA OK (fine) RA(in) drizzle without IN (popular). After getting the crossing K it had to be Okra, but decoding the clue took a while
14 SHEBANG The novel is the popular (in crosswords) “She” – again
17 TANGENT (w)ANGE(r) inside TNT.  Another mathematical reference.
20 NEAT I don’t understand Holy Spirit reference. Full Clue:
Smart to listen to Holy Spirit? (4)
25 CABALLERO CAB-ALLER-O Aller from French “to go” from “across the Pyrenees”.
27 LIMIT LIM-IT? I can’t see where LIM comes from. Full clue:
Not entirely relaxed, it proving extreme (5)

1 AMBER Hidden in cAMBERwell.  Amber is above Green on a traffic light.  Marvellous clue.
3 SEMIQUAVER (REQUIEM AS V(ery))* Lovely clue
5 (f)EARLESS
6 CANE homophome CAIN
8 DOT MATRIX I think this is an anagram of MAD and TO plus the T from cruciverbalisT then Brian RIX is the “man of farce”
14 SATANICAL SAT-AN-I-CAL(ifornia)
16/24 GRAVEYARD SLOT Lovely CD :
Is one reserved for the late programme scheduler? (9,4)
18 TRIREME Offers requested to decode this clue. Full clue:
Virtually all old masters turned up, including Turner’s “Last Ship” (7)

12 Responses to “Guardian 24305/Paul – Stub”

1. diagacht says:

20A NEAT: sounds like wholly spirit, as in neat spirit (i.e. drink)
    27A LIM as in not entirely LIMP + IT
    8D anagram of TO MAD + T (last letter of cruciverbalist + RIX (referring to Brian Rix who wrote ‘Farce about Face’)
    18D last letter of Turner, R in EMIRIT(us)

2. Brianhill says:

27 Ac Try LIM(p) IT
    18 Dn Virtually all old masters = EMERIT(i) backwards around (Turne)R’s last

3. Amnesiac says:

Adding in the missing ones (apologies if they’re missed out for being “trivial” – I’m new to this and haven’t got the hang of what’s regarded as trivial or not).

11 REACQUIRED REA[C QUIRE]D
    12 OKRA OK (fine) RAIN – IN (popular)
    14 SHEBANG SHE (novel) BANG (report, as in loud)
    15 SPONGER S[P]ONG HER – H
    19 BATEAUX BAT EAU X
    20 (further explanation) sounds like “wholly spirit”, i.e. neat (vokda etc.)
    22 WINGSPREAD (GAP WIDENS R)* – rail is a type of bird
    25 CABALLERO CAB ALLER (French for to go) O
    27 (further explanation) LIMp IT
    28 EAST ENDER (I love this one!) hE hAS TENDER

2 CAESAREAN (CASE)* AREA iN; I guess the use of “section” is intended to help as well
    4, 26 BASKING SHARK B[AS[KINGS]H]ARK
    7 BREAK Double def.
    8 (I came up with the same analysis)
    13 TOOTHPASTE TOO TH[PAST]E + cryptic def. reusing “filling”
    14 SATANICAL SAT AN I CAL
    16, 24 GRAVEYARD SLOT Cryptic def.
    18 TRIREME (EMERI[turnerR]Ti)BUGLOSS Punnish cryptic def.
    21 ALBUM White album & ALBUMen (egg white)
    23 DAKAR Denmark AKA Russia

4. Amnesiac says:

Apologies for the slight error there – forgot to escape my “<“. Should be:

18 TRIREME (EMERI[turnerR]i)<
    19 BUGLOSS Punning cryptic def.

5. Chris says:

Thanks for all that – that’s answered lots of my queries.

It took me ages to work out what “Brahms (and Liszt)” were doing in 3 down until I realised it was rhyming slang and an ingenious anagrind!

6. Ygor says:

Chris,

“Brahms and Liszt” is rhyming slang for what?

7. linxit says:

Thanks for doing this, beermagnet (and Amnesiac). It was supposed to be me but I got the dates mixed up and thought I was doing today’s.

8. Amnesiac says:

“Brahms and Liszt” = “pissed” = “drunk” in UK English. Therefore, an anagram indicator!

Cheers,

Matthew

9. neildubya says:

Beermagnet – thanks for stepping in.

Amnesiac – it’s not a matter of what’s trivial or not. See the FAQ for an explanation as to why we don’t reveal all the answers in a puzzle (although it doesn’t apply to this particular post as it appeared after the solution).

10. Amnesiac says:

OK. Out of interest, do you have “house rules” on how many and which answers to leave out?

11. Amnesiac says:

12. neildubya says:

Nope. It’s at the discretion of each blogger.