Guardian 24308/Rufus – must be Monday

Posted by ilancaron on February 11th, 2008

ilancaron.

Too many cryptic definitions (albeit one or two are rather good) and anagrams. Which means this was a fairly typical Rufus of a Monday morning.

9 MO,HAWK – nice clue. Brit docs are Medical Officers.
10 SKID – ref. SKID row, notorious area for drunks (I think the origin is in fact Seattle).
11 LEAD ASTRAY – an unusual clue for Rufus: wordplay in the answer: since deal=LEAD*
12 SUBLET=subtle* – nice def as “release” but honestly the diff between sublet and subtle isn’t very subtle.
14 PERVERSE=preserve* – more v. similar anagram fodder
17 ADMIRER – I admire this cryptic def: since there are two nounal (tennis, law) senses of court that serve to mislead as it were.
20 BOA,TRACE – the def is a bit cryptic (“crafty contest”) thus a question-mark is in order I believe.
22 HAG(GI)S – I’m told that in Scotland people actually do eat entrails or whatever HAGGIS is made from…
23 TEAR-JERKER – another CD. This time only slightly misleading.
26 N(A,USE)OUS – NOUS is a common cryptic term for common sense.

1 COCK,SURE
2 S(PU=rev(up))D – Murphy is a type of potato.
4 DECA(M)PS – M in spaced*: good clue since hard to shift from the noun desert to the verb.
7 SWEATS – two meanings – I’m guessing that SWEAT is slang for “old soldier” though I haven’t found a reference.
13 LIGHTER,MAN – not a bad clue – a LIGHTERMAN works on a barge which has a flat bottom.
16 TR(A,VEST)Y – our undergarment is a VEST this time not a bra.
18 EPILOGUE – a fairly weak cryptic definition.
21 HARD UP=(purdah)* – not a bad simple clue in terms of surface.
24 STET – and we end on another cryptic definition: this time quite a bit better since there’re several misleading wordplay possibilities in the surface.

10 Responses to “Guardian 24308/Rufus – must be Monday”

1. Barbara says:

Re: Admirer
    One who goes to court? (7)
    The blogger doesn’t mention the probable intended meaning: One who is trying to woo someone.

2. owenjonesuk says:

Why is the answer to 24a SHOT? The clue is “Go round (4).”

3. ilancaron says:

24a: two meanings… “take a SHOT” is “have a go” and also as in a round of ammunition.

4. Chris says:

I stand to be corrected but I’m pretty sure that that “Go round” clue was nicked off of Araucaria.

5. Rufus says:

You stand corrected Chris – I did not nick this clue from my friend Araucaria. My Thesaurus gives “go” and “round” for SHOT. Recently you suggested I pinched another clue which happened to be a similar, but differently phrased, clue from one I first used in the Guardian in 1985. Is there any reason for these innuendos?

6. Comfy Settee says:

I found this harder than a usual Rufus, or maybe my brain’s slowing down. Never come across STET before, which didn’t help! SPUD made me smile though, and I liked LEAD ASTRAY.

7. Paul B says:

That’s the trouble with words that have great double definition possibilities – clues they produce tend to sound familiar even when they’re brand spanking new. Drat and bother, but that’s life.

Good DD clues do get half-inched as well, of course …

8. Chris says:

My genuine and profound apologies, Rufus, and I’d honestly forgotten about any similar recent allegations I may have made.

I have definitely heard that “Go round” clue before, though – I have a feeling it might feature in “Pretty Girl in Crimson Rose” but I’d have to check – but I am quite prepared to accept I was wrong about its provenance, and that it originated with yourself.

9. Chris says:

Having checked back, I see that you are referring to my comment about the Swiss Rolls clue from a couple of weeks ago. I genuinely wasn’t suggesting there that you had stolen it, simply that I’d seen the clue before (and I have no reason at all to suppose you weren’t the originator of it). It features in Brian Greer’s How to do the Times Crossword book from a few years back.

10. neildubya says:

I’ve deleted the last three comments in this post in case the discussion goes down a road marked “Unpleasant”. I’m also closing comments after this one.