Independent 6652 by Hypnos

Posted by NealH on February 11th, 2008

NealH.

* = anag, < = reversed

A solid puzzle by Hypnos – reasonably challenging without being too difficult. I finished it fairly quickly, but there were a couple of clues I didn’t entirely follow.

1 Relegate: Re (two letters of remarks) + legate. Quite easy to think it might be delegate.
9 Top Notch: Didn’t quite get this – the clue is “Superb society acquiring prize around November”. I’ve probably misinterpreted it, but I was thinking the prize was “pot” around “n”, which leaves “toch” being society, but I’ve never heard of that.
12 Kilimanjaro: Kin around Lima + jar + o
14 Rent Collector: Cryptic def (the “ready” refers to money).
16 Admiralty Arch: (I charm lady art)*
23 (G)riddle
26 Asuncion: Un in a scion.

1 Rothko: Roth (Philip, a US writer) + ok <
3 Goodman: Gan(g) around (mood)*. The man in question is Benny Goodman.
4 Technicality: Tech (short for technical college) + NI city around a l.
8 Woodwork: Cryptic def clued by planes (carpenters’ tools as opposed to the aviation variety).
14 Ram Raider: Initially I thought this is another of those where wordplay is indicated by a single word. I thought malefactor was used to indicate that m was a factor (i.e. inside) another word. But actually it’s simpler than that – just “a” + first letter of malefactor in RR (Rolls Royce) + (idea r)*.
15 Barbaric: Barb + A RC around i. Not sure about barb as a synonym for sally.
19 Cretin: CRE (Commission for Racial Equality) + tin.
22 Haiti: This was the other one I didn’t follow. Clue is “Revolutionary regulars taking part in big trip ache for republic”.

11 Responses to “Independent 6652 by Hypnos”

1. Jon says:

22d. Alternate letters back in bIgTrIpAcHe

2. NealH says:

Ah, yes. I still haven’t got the hang of these alternate letter clues.

3. Jon says:

18d has still got me stumped. I struggled with this puzzle today, just couldn’t seem to get on the setter’s wavelength.

4. NealH says:

Roedean: Dean (college authority) after soundalike of “row”. Roedean is a girls’ school.

5. conradcork says:

Toc H is Talbot House, a sort of soldier’s club founded by Rev Tubby Clayton.

6. Jon says:

Cheers!

7. NealH says:

I did think of Toc H, but the only context I know if from is “Toc H lamp” (as in “as thick as…”).

8. NealH says:

I think I meant “as dim as”, which makes more sense for a lamp.

9. nmsindy says:

Pleasing puzzle from Hypnos – as you say, not too difficult. Does ‘plane’ ever appear in a puzzle meaning one of those that fly?

10. Richard Palmer says:

Regarding 15D I think sally and barb can both mean a pointed remark.

I enjoyed this, especially the cryptic definition 14A where ‘letters’ as well as ‘ready’ don’t mean what you first think.

11. Patrick says:

I think it was the in ‘Goons’ that ‘Grippe Pipe-Thinne’ said that ‘Neddy Seagoon’ was as “dim as a Toc-H lamp”.
    (Showing one’s age!)

One of the few Indy X words I got out without help from a dictionary or the internet.

Patrick.