Financial Times 12,681 by Falcon

Posted by Pete Maclean on February 14th, 2008

Pete Maclean.

I do not recall coming across Falcon before and am almost sure I have not done a Weekend FT puzzle by this compiler. I found this particular one very easy which is a little curious because usually with a new compiler I find I need a little time to feel my way into his/her style. I especially liked clues 10A and 7D. 15D is also clever but the reference is perhaps a bit obscure for us non-Londoners.

1. POT ROAST – anagram of POTATOS around R (right)
5. STUBBS – ???. “Squat” suggests stubby but I do not fully see how this clue works
9. GREEN TEA – anagram of TEENAGER
10. DE NIRO – anagram of DINER + O (duck)
12. OUTRE – OUT (mistaken) + RE (about)
13. PEA JACKET – A (a) + JACK (sailor) + E (eastern) in PET (dear)
14. SQUARE – double definition
16. TERRAIN – TERRA[p]IN
18. ACERBIC – A (a) + CERB (homophone) + IC (in charge)
20. RESIDE – RE (on the) + SIDE (border)
22. METER MAID – ME (me) + TERM (call) + AID (assistance)
23. BROTH – BOTH (the two) with R (drop of rice) inserted
24. ADONIS – A (a) + DON (boy) + IS (is)
25. AUGUSTUS – AUGUST (distinguished) + US (American). Augustus (originally named Octavian) was the first Emperor of Rome and a grand-nephew of Julius Caesar.
27. CHARTRES – CHARTS (traces) around RE (about). Home of one of my favourite cathedrals.

2. TWENTY QUESTIONS – TWENTY (score) + QUESTIONS (asks)
3. OUNCE – double definition…and one I have seen, it seems, maybe a bit too often.
4. STEEPLE – STEEP (high) + LE (the Parisian)
6. THESAURUS – HES (he’s) in TAURUS (house)
7. BRICKS AND MORTAR – anagram of SMART IN CORK DRAB
11, 26. WALT DISNEY – anagram of WE SIT WITH DYLAN
15. AUBERGINE – AUBERGE (where French diners may go) with IN (fashionable) inserted. I gather that Aubergine is a fashionable restaurant in Chelsea which, at a stretch, makes this a semi-&lit.
17. FARMHAND – FAR (remote) + M[unic]H + AND (too)
18, 1, 8. CLAY PIGEON SHOOTING – anagram of ANTHOLOGIES COPYING
20. REDRUTH – RED (embarrassed) + RUTH (girl)
21. THESIS – THE (article) + S (second) + IS (is)
23. BLUER – E (centre of Leeds) in BLUR (mist)

10 Responses to “Financial Times 12,681 by Falcon”

1. tilsit says:

Falcon is the Spectator setter Ascot and IIRC at least 50% of the Observer Everyman setter (maybe 100%).

Nice accessible puzzles with fairly friendly clues, very similar to Cincinnus/Orlando.

2. Rishi says:

Should the crossword number be 12691?

3. Magpie says:

Rishi, 12681 is right,it’s the Saturday prize puzzle from 2 February. Today’s FT (coincidentally also a Falcon puzzle) is 12691.

4. Pete Maclean says:

Tilsit, Thank you for the info.

Hi Rishi.

5. nmsindy says:

I think he’s 100% of Everyman. I find his puzzles very enjoyable, on the easy side, and everything always stacks up. Not a bad place for new solvers to start.

6. Rishi says:

Greetings from Madras.

We have an Orkut group, Hindu/ET Crossword Solutions, where members post solutions to three crosswords including the Daily Mail puzzle in its Indian avatar and the 13x crossword from Gemini Crosswords (prev. First Features) that appears in a local paper.

After the FT puzzle became available for free, we have just started a separate Orkut group for members to have experience with UK crosswords of higher difficulty. FT 12691 has been wrapped up.

Previously I have solved the FT puzzle only occasionally (as aboard an international flight) – not any two days consecutively – or in book collections, so I was not aware of prize puzzle with time constraints.

I thank Magpie for the info.

7. Tom Johnson says:

Falcon has been an FT compiler for a few years now — he joined the team soon after I began contributing — and so I am amazed that some of the solving team do not know his work.

8. Pete Maclean says:

In my case, it may be largely explained by the fact that, while I have done the FT Weekend puzzle fairly routinely for something like the last 20 years, I have only ever done a dozen or so weekday FT puzzles.

9. Wil Ransome says:

STUBBS

Not sure what the problem is. Stubb(y) s. Perhaps the artist Stubbs is unfamiliar: George Stubbs, 1724 – 1806, famous for his paintings of horses, e.g. Whistlejacket.

(I solved this today, well after it was published.)

10. Pete Maclean says:

I deduce from your comment that my problem was not knowing that “succeeded” clued the S. As I noted elsewhere, the fact that I blog these puzzles means I am good at solving them but it does not mean that I know all the little tricks.