Guardian 24311/Quantum

Posted by Colin Blackburn on February 14th, 2008

Colin Blackburn.

Too many cryptic definitions for my taste. The answers I’ve not blogged are probably CDs. Quantum’s best clues here are the short simple clues rather than the CDs.
* = anagram
< = reversal
“…” = homophone
dd = double definition

1 PEGASUS (EU GASPS)*
5 COPYCAT COP +Y + (ACT)*
9 RAMBO RAM + B.O.
10 ABOMINATE A + MOB< + IN + (EAT)* just how I feel when I need a tea break and the queue in the cafe is too long.
12 STEM dd one of those annoying double definitions that took ages to get as I ran through synonyms of both words in my head.
14 ARCHIPELAGO (A PAIR EG + LOCH)* strange surface
21 TATE (s)TATE flap = state
22 BESTSELLER BEST + “cellar” I was surprised that the enumeration of (10) is correct.
26 MANSE hidden &lit excellent.
27 REDHEAD (HAD REED)* REDHEAD is often used to refer to the pochard.
28 SINCERE CE in SIN+RE nice clue.
1 PARODY DO< for T in PARTY not sure what the surface means but I like the dual use of party.
3 SHORT RANGE (GRANT HORSE)*
6 PRIM P+RIM another simple but effective clue
7 CLAPTRAP CLAP+TRAP
16 COTTAGER COT + (GREAT)* the definition of COT here requires referring back to the main definition.
17 FESTERED TREES* in FED
19 PLUNGE LUNG in PE
20 BREEZE dd
24 MATE dd MATE = china (plate) = tea

19 Responses to “Guardian 24311/Quantum”

1. anne says:

I think Mate, 24 down refers to Mate tea found in south america. Any one help on 13 down ?

2. Colin Blackburn says:

Thanks for that, never heard of Mate tea.

13d I read as a CD referring to a WEATHERMAN being interested in bars (pressure) and glass (temperature measurement).

3. Colin Blackburn says:

Sorry, glass is a device for measuring pressure not temperature.

4. David says:

1d Parody = skit. Party = Do, reversed and replacing T(ime) in Party

5. Colin Blackburn says:

Yes, I got the word play in 1d. However, I like surfaces to have some sense, I didn’t think this one did.

6. Michael says:

Can anyone help on 25a? Its the last one I need….

7. Colin Blackburn says:

GARGANTUA is a giant from a Rabelais book, ie a character “largely appearing”, it’s another cryptic definition.

8. Michael says:

Thanks Colin.

9. Colin Blackburn says:

I just read a little about Rabelais and it turns out that his first book was published under the pseudonym Alcofribas Nasier, his real name was François Rabelais. He would have enjoyed cryptic crosswords!

10. Paul B says:

Ars magna (*)

Gentle Giant, anyone?

11. Amnesiac says:

12 Annoying indeed! My first choice was HOLD which I wrote in in pen, only to discover moments later that obvious answer to 7 didn’t fit…

12. Kate Wild says:

Hi, not posted before, but really enjoy coming here and looking up answers I can’t get. I couldn’t get 8d this time. Anyone like to enlighten me?

13. Matthew says:

8D is THERMION.

I thought it was funny that the last down clue in today’s puzzle was “Friend for tea (4)” and the last down clue in yesterday’s puzzle was “Mate for tea? (5)”.

14. stan says:

Hey Kate – 8d is the following (yet another cryptic definition) – http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/thermion. I don’t have any problems with Physics, but I only know about three sorts of plant and two of those come in a BLT. Note the setter’s name is “Quantum” – not much of a leap to suggest he is a fellow science geek.

15. Ron says:

I agree with what I think Colin is saying, and I found the whole puzzle rather unsatisfactory? Far too many CDs, some not very good (especially weatherman!). As for me expecting to know Rabelais – well…

16. muck says:

8dn: Thermion is in Chambers (under ‘therm’) as ‘an electrically charged particle emitted by an incandescent body’. I agree with Stan that the setter being Quantum may be relevant, but his link to wiki ‘did not compute’.

17. stan says:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/thermion – my full-stop messed up the link.

18. stan says:

Quantum is also Quark in the F.T – so it’s not strange that his crosswords have have a certain flavour.

19. Pasquale says:

Q is my old Cheltenham friend Eric Burge, a retired lecturer and administrator who has a First in Physics from that great university for physics (Bristol).